John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather bring Joleon Lescott out of retirement than watching Stones besides Fernandinho again. Stones need a leader like Laporte to hold his hand or he shits the bed.

Pretty much only asked to defend 4 times in that game. First time he brings down Zaha and should have given away a pen. Second time he loses the header on the corner and they score. Third time he completely loses Ayew on a ball over the top and luckily Ederson saves it. Fourth time he is one on one with Zaha and just gets breezed past.

There is no set up that works for a defender who cannot defend
He didn't bring zaha down,the cheating twat initiated the contact and went over

I understand the idea, but really its the difference in how he has to defend.

In other teams he has more "defending" but its simpler defending, in a pack with other players.

In ours, while he has to do that rarely, and definitely on corners, the most important defending is 1 on 1 that happens when we inevitably get countered. The counters happen, its not anyones fault, but its the hardest thing to do as a defender, its literally why players like Laporte, Van Dijk are the best defenders in the world. They do all the fancy bits, but can add in with correct decision making in 1 on 1s.

That decision making is either don't be stupid and just foul/kick the ball out (Stones is too timid here), or make a correctly timed tackle (Stones kind of okay here), or jockey them out wide into a difficult position for when our team can come back to defend (Stones doesn't think about this enough).

I understand what you are getting at but he had the “simpler” defending when he was Everton and he was no good at that either. When push comes to shove, we took a £50m gamble on a defender who couldn’t hold down a regular place in a poor Everton side and it has back-fired. All the top ball-playing centre backs over the years, have still had the ability to do the basics of defending, like picking up your man, or being positionally aware. Stones is incapable of the basics and therefore I don’t see him being a success at any other club, simpler defending or otherwise.

As a kid, if Stones had said he was a ball-playing midfielder, rather than a centre back, he would be working in Tesco or cleaning windows now. He is a very basic footballer, with next to nothing special about him and he has been extremely lucky to get where has has in the game.

Fair enough.
I understand what you are getting at but he had the “simpler” defending when he was Everton and he was no good at that either. When push comes to shove, we took a £50m gamble on a defender who couldn’t hold down a regular place in a poor Everton side and it has back-fired. All the top ball-playing centre backs over the years, have still had the ability to do the basics of defending, like picking up your man, or being positionally aware. Stones is incapable of the basics and therefore I don’t see him being a success at any other club, simpler defending or otherwise.

As a kid, if Stones had said he was a ball-playing midfielder, rather than a centre back, he would be working in Tesco or cleaning windows now. He is a very basic footballer, with next to nothing special about him and he has been extremely lucky to get where has has in the game.

John is like walcott,everyone waits for them to take that step and fulfill their potential but they just get to it and then drop backwards , he was never going to get a better chance to become the leader than this season but he hasn't taken it

I do take into consideration whats going on in his life but he did bring that on himself by cheating and breaking up his family so limited sympathy,he is being shown up by dinho which is ridiculous

He was very good but mentally he has gone
Well I'll keep faith in the City player, like I try to with all of them. I'd rather be perpetually disappointed than expect the worst. You're entitled to write him off. It's just I won't.

Bit harsh,he has earned his medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.