Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain whst i made up
A non existent last chance. Y

wanted there to be one. There wasn't one. There were many in the prior 96. Hoofing the ball forward wasn't gonna create a chance out of thin air. This isn't Alan Ball's 95 squad.

We simply didn't have a chance. Period. Pretending there was one that didn't materialize because Gundogan passed a ball is simply a figment of your creative mind.

For anyone to single Gundogan out from yesterday's performance is to identify exactly what has been an issue with our club for decades; he had a decent game yesterday but is being villified by those who had made up their minds a long time ago. Looking back at the matchday thread, it is clear that any mistake he makes is exaggerated beyond all proportion while his successes are often passed on to someone else or ignored by many. It is a shame as he is such a talented player who gives us a lot. In actual fact, for large portions of yesterday, our front line did not press aggressively enough (KDB apart) and so we allowed Palace to reshape easily into their twin banks of five. When we play that way, it is too easy for inferior opposition to nullify our game and exploit our shape. It is also clear that Silva and Aguero are not going to give what we need in that sense, true greats though they are.

Last edited:
For anyone to single Gundogan out from yesterday's performance is to identify exactly what has been an issue with our club for decades; he had a decent game yesterday. Looking back at the matchday thread, it is clear that any mistake he makes is exaggerated beyond all proportion while his successes are often passed on to someone else or ignored by many. It is a shame as he is such a talented player who gives us a lot. In actual fact, for large portions of yesterday, our front line did not press aggressively enough (KDB apart) and so we allowed Palace to reshape easily into their twin banks of five. When we play that way, it is too easy for inferior opposition to nullify our game and exploit our shape. It is also clear that Silva and Aguero are not going to give what we need in that sense, true greats though they are.
This season, here is how are front group ranks in terms of pressure

Jesus, Foden, Kevin, Bernado, Mahrez, Sterling, Aguero then David..

We played the 3 weakest pressers today and it showed

Are you talking generally or today. Co I don't remember that much tackling required by anyone today. 76% possession generally negates the need for a lot of that.
Generally. I don't know what he does that Rodri, Foden and even Doyle can't. Yesterday has proven yet again that in certain games Silva and Gundo can't play in the same midfield. Slows our tempo and against a sea of players, just doesn't work. So frustrating.

Agree with you but how is Gundogan's pressing ranking against KDB, Bernardo, Foden, Silva, Rodri, Doyle , Bolton and my dead grandfather ?

No it's not. We didn't have one last chance. She is dreaming up this phantom chance in the 97th minute

I think what Karen was saying was if we (Gundogan) had hit a long ball towards the Palace area a chance may have presented itself whereby playing short passes on the half way line when times almost up isn't going to get us a goal..

Pumping it long at the death seldom works but I understand what Karen was saying..

To give Gundogan a break though, in the stadium, the clock doesn't show the added time ticking down, it stops at 90 minutes, so maybe he thought there was a bit more time left than there actually was..!

I do wonder if Kev could have moved out and played Tosun offside.
He could, indeed, but instead people blame Gundogan for coming out but leaving the CF at the back post!

KDB was at fault for not getting out quicker, Stones was to blame for not getting anything on the original cross, and Gundogan was to blame for not staying with the man/men at the back post! Enough blame to go around.

Never quite understood our defence of set pieces under Pep, as he has virtually no height then uses zonal marking for the most part.

This season, here is how are front group ranks in terms of pressure

Jesus, Foden, Kevin, Bernado, Mahrez, Sterling, Aguero then David..

We played the 3 weakest pressers today and it showed
Good post. Kevin is in front of Jesus and Foden if you take into account the starting position and lenght of his pressing runs. The man is a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.