Changing the formation every week

We have no idea what the sports science is telling us, who has niggles and injuries, etc, etc, etc...throw in that Pep asks a lot of his full backs and you see rotation there. In the midfield, we face a conundrum. The fans think they know our best midfield and front three, but the coaches see who is on in training, and who is doing what they are asked when on the field, and doing it well, and they make choices.

Don’t forget, we have just come through the toughest spell of the season, with many, many games coming fast and furious, while we have been struggling with injuries. If we can get Laporte and Sane back into the mix, we SHOULD have a set back four and an attacking option on the left that we have been lacking. However, currently, Mendy is working himself into some form down the left wing, so one wonders if Sane will get much time, and just how much.

The squad clearly needs a refresh. We need to relieve KDB of being the main creative assist producer, we need to relieve Sergio of having to score to save us, and we need a new CB to have a settled back four that can perform going forwards AND backwards. The one thing we can’t have, no matter who is on th field, is a back four that is still attacking with only injury time to play and having just clawed our way back into a winning position. That is unforgivable against a team with only one real attacking threat. I have no idea why Stones didn’t take him out when he was 30 yards from goal, but once you start to jockey him, then you MUST stop the cross from inside the box on the byline.said the same about Angelino when he did it, too. The full back has one specific job...stop balls coming in from your side. The end. In this case, with Cancelo getting caught upfield ahead of the ball, then that job was up to Stones and he failed...as he did for the header from which they scored, and as he almost did on the Zaha non-penalty call, which 90% of refs and VAR officials would have given.

My brother and I were talking after the game and we agree that while Fernandinho has been an excellent stop gap at CB, we have really, really missed him bossing the middle of the park and snuffing out danger. Once danger penetrates our midfield, we are at sixes and sevens at the back.Some of Ederson’s rushes of blood to the head haven’t helped in that regard, but we play a high stakes game against teams with one striker (virtually everyone that plays us!), which makes us very susceptible to the counter. Gundo and Silva don’t have pace to defend against it, and Bernardo, Mahrez & KDB are usually moving in the other direction.

Let’s try and win some silverware this season, see what we can do over 2 legs against RM, and sort this squad out for the next few years this summer. 1 GK, 1 RCB, 1 AM, 1 CF, and if Sané does go, 1 LW, please, Txiki...not to mention a Cancelo replacement if he leaves.

I’d be happy with:

Ederson, AN Other
Walker, Cancelo
THB, Garcia, Stones, Laporte, AN Other
Rodrigo, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Doyle
KDB, Bernardo
Foden, AN Other
Sterling, Mahrez, Sané
Aguero, Jesus, AN Other

352 has worked amazing this season.

Garcia Rodri Fernandinho

Even looked like a world class back 3.

Not sure how or why we are playing 433 unless it's to accomodate Raz, who's playing shite.

He’s one of the best centre backs in Europe. Of course we are dependent on him.

It would be like Liverpool losing VanDjik. Or us losing aguero upfront. Most top teams are dependant on a few top class players
What the whole system? Behave mate. Klopp has played without VVD this year and last and not changed shape or system. Their fullbacks are actually more important to their style of play anyway, but when TAA hasn’t played Milner or Gomez have played the same role. I think Laporte is on VVDs level but he missed games last year and we didn’t change formation. Folk on here saying our fullbacks have to rotate because our system is so demanding again need to look at Liverpool’s fullbacks because they play every week and there are equally high if not higher demands on them. They simply look fitter and quicker than any of our fullbacks bar walker

What the whole system? Behave mate. Klopp has played without VVD this year and last and not changed shape or system. Their fullbacks are actually more important to their style of play anyway, but when TAA hasn’t played Milner or Gomez have played the same role. I think Laporte is on VVDs level but he missed games last year and we didn’t change formation. Folk on here saying our fullbacks have to rotate because our system is so demanding again need to look at Liverpool’s fullbacks because they play every week and there are equally high if not higher demands on them. They simply look fitter and quicker than any of our fullbacks bar walker

So VVD has been out most of the season then?? And salah has missed dozens of games - similar to aguero.

I think it’s a pretty normal arguemenr to say missing some of your best players has an big effect.

The formation and tactics weren’t working either. So he changed them. Again that’s pretty normal.

He can change the formation thirty times a match if that's what he wants but I'd rather we stop going back to the one which has been completely ineffective since we had our pants pulled down by Norwich.

Shit, even if you want to go back to a predictable 433, at least go for something unpredictable in the lineup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.