John Stones - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the problems he has is that he doesn’t seem to have the desire to be one of the best. He was happy with how good he was and what he had won. There’s no hunger to move on from there and become a better player or win more and more trophies.

For me he lacks the one thing that all good central defenders have and that is aggression. Look at the difference between him and Fern even, one looks like a decent centre back, no prizes for guessing which one that is.

If Arsenal want him I wouldn't stop it going through even this month. I don't see him getting back the form of early last season again, maybe he just can't handle Pep's demanding coaching style

It's really disappointing as it looked like we had a perfect partnership with Laporte at one stage. Time to cut our losses and run with what we have and look again in Summer.

It doesn't help that he is injury prone, if we can get a decent fee it's a goodbye for me

Stones has been given 3 & a half years to show he is good enough. I know Injuries have hampered him & personally I've always defended him to others - as there is ability there. Even though when we signed him in 2016 I had serious doubts. I thought give him a chance as Pep knows far far more than me about footy. But sadly he hasn't stepped up.
However yesterday confirmed what alot of us know deep down but don't want to accept. He isn't aggressive enough to be a top defender or even a good one. He had several opportunities to stop Zaha yesterday on the equaliser & he stood off & then to let that cross come in was abysmal.
To be a top defender you need to have a nasty streak. All of them have it. They'll do whatever it takes to protect the goal. Whether that be take a kick or give one.
Stones simply us too soft mentally & physically. Someone got it bang on after the match on the Port vale thread.
Rather than confronting that tool who ridiculed him on Twitter in the dressing room after the game he hid. Says it all really. Could you imagine Komps or Terry or Vidic or Cannavaro or Baresi etc. Doing that?!
I'm not saying punch him or whatever but show some fight & speak up at least.
Stones confidence looks shot & he hasn't the heart to turn it round. In the summer him & Nico need to go for me.
Also Garcia had done enough to be kept in. He should've been kept in until if/when he doesn't perform. Being dropped for Stones makes no sense. Maybe Pep us giving him a last chance between now & the summer to show his can step up that's the only reason I can think of playing him.
I sincerely hope Stones makes me eat my words but I think he'll be gone in the summer.

He will be gone in the summer.

Why he’s playing now though is beyond me. We have 3 better centre backs as it currently stands.

Stones has been given 3 & a half years to show he is good enough. I know Injuries have hampered him & personally I've always defended him to others - as there is ability there. Even though when we signed him in 2016 I had serious doubts. I thought give him a chance as Pep knows far far more than me about footy. But sadly he hasn't stepped up.
However yesterday confirmed what alot of us know deep down but don't want to accept. He isn't aggressive enough to be a top defender or even a good one. He had several opportunities to stop Zaha yesterday on the equaliser & he stood off & then to let that cross come in was abysmal.
To be a top defender you need to have a nasty streak. All of them have it. They'll do whatever it takes to protect the goal. Whether that be take a kick or give one.
Stones simply us too soft mentally & physically. Someone got it bang on after the match on the Port vale thread.
Rather than confronting that tool who ridiculed him on Twitter in the dressing room after the game he hid. Says it all really. Could you imagine Komps or Terry or Vidic or Cannavaro or Baresi etc. Doing that?!
I'm not saying punch him or whatever but show some fight & speak up at least.
Stones confidence looks shot & he hasn't the heart to turn it round. In the summer him & Nico need to go for me.
Also Garcia had done enough to be kept in. He should've been kept in until if/when he doesn't perform. Being dropped for Stones makes no sense. Maybe Pep us giving him a last chance between now & the summer to show his can step up that's the only reason I can think of playing him.
I sincerely hope Stones makes me eat my words but I think he'll be gone in the summer.

Completely agree. I also made the point re the Port Vale game to a mate. Rather than give that journeyman a kick up the arse, he left it to a 17 year old to mark him. He's weak

I know his personal life is a bit complicated but that's what happens when you put yourself in complicated situations so he's got no sympathy from me

Agree with the majority of the sentiments on here.

We are talking about a lad who should be approaching the peak of his career, and it just seems like he is back pedalling, really not helped by being increasingly injury prone.

If he stays next season I think a significant portion of that will be down to him being English and that he will be third or fourth choice. Given his demeanour he might well be content with that.

Would love him to prove me wrong however...

He looks like his confidence is totally shot. He lacks leadership, aggression, strength, concentration and effective decision making.
Not much left there then for a defender at our level to have to contribute to the team, oh we forgot, he does well at organising a party rather than his defence! He’s shambolic, he’s never developed in the past three years, get shut, and play the youngsters. When Laporte returns who is going to partner him, for sure it won’t be Stones!!!

For those claiming he faked an injury at the end, I definitely saw him take a knock midway through the second half after a set piece. Not impossible that he was carrying a niggle from that point onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.