Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching Gundogan defend its funny because he always looks like hes just waiting for an excuse to do nothing and stop running,rather than actually participate himself

Every manager has their blind spots, and Gundogan is Pep's I'm afraid.
Pep’s blind spot is defending. Period.

He asks a Herculean effort of a keep ball attacking team, then expects 11 man defending. Other teams simply put a few rabbits on the field and they’re off to the races when they finally get the ball.

Coupled with a lack of consistency at the back this season...blind spot exploited.

It’s funny reading about Gundogan on here. He plays for one of the best countries in world football and one of the best club teams in world football, both managed by world class managers.

It’s as if football itself can’t see what the highly trained, skilled tacticians on BM can!

What’s wrong with them?!

I can see why he started yesterday. He's got a better progressive passing range from deep than Rodri which is more useful to break down the low block.

The downside is that he can be a lazy fucker at times. Evidence was Tosun's goal when he stood still with his innocent face. KDB played Tosun onside but if Gundo hadn't lost him out of sight, it was preventable.

I understand the how and why he gets criticised when we have a poor result.

That said is it not often based on the formation/line-up that can influence his effectiveness?

Recently when we have played either three at the back with Rodri or Fern stepping forward we look solid. Did we not also play very well recently where it was a double pivot with Gundog and Bernardo and both they, and the team were excellent.

The common consensus is that against a decent team he cannot play lone pivot (agreed), the midfield is too slow and lacking in energy if it includes David and Gundog (agreed).

That said, against the right teams in the right formation Gundog is a very good player. The frustration is that sometimes, like yesterday, there are too many players off the boil.

I ain't got no agenda,you claimed my post was nonsense,so if you care to try and understand my reason to making that point you might be able to absorb it better.

He dilly dallies on the ball,99/100 picks the easy 5 yard sideways pass or on odd occasions tries a shot which frequently ends up way back in the stands,thinks he is better than what he is,a luxury player whose ok when the going is going well,will he roll his sleeves up and get stuck in when the going gets tough,not a chance,not been missed the last few games he has not started,and we won,starts yesterday and well...…………………..not his fault entirely before you try to miss my point again and pick on that statement,but not for me,an opinion that is permitted I'm sure you agree,or probably nonsense in your eyes as well.
Agenda.

He could, indeed, but instead people blame Gundogan for coming out but leaving the CF at the back post!

KDB was at fault for not getting out quicker, Stones was to blame for not getting anything on the original cross, and Gundogan was to blame for not staying with the man/men at the back post! Enough blame to go around.

Never quite understood our defence of set pieces under Pep, as he has virtually no height then uses zonal marking for the most part.
I genuinely don't understand how Gundogan has any fault here. He did exactly what the textbook instructs. Once a ball has gone backwards move to be in line with the ball, so if anyone is left behind, he is automatically offsides.

As you correctly noted, there were 2 guys at the back post Gundogan would have had to guess and pick one to get close too. The common sense solution is simply to step up and leave the players offside. He did that. It failed simply because Kevin didn't do the right thing.

To fault Gundogan here in any way simply doesn't make sense.

Wants far too much time on the ball,and you don't get it in this league,he doesn't learn,Rodri in for me over him rest of season
I disagree with your claim about Gundogan. But like you I generally prefer Rodri too. As I think he is World Class. But that's just me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.