Crystal Palace (H) - Post Match

Long goal kick why? We’ve played out from the back against much better sides and retained the ball. We lose the header, we lose the 50/50, Stones then let’s Zaha run instead of taking him out and accepting the yellow card. Frustrating.

Vanity from Ederson. Playing to the crowd, time wasting and then showing everyone how far he could kick it. Having said that it should have been in his net within 10 seconds.

We can’t win the league anyway so not that arsed
I think we just need to go big in cups and the league will just tick over
People slagging of stones etc
He along with others like mendy and Laporte need games before big cup games
You moan about pep but when he’s gone we’ll miss him big time

If things have gone stale. The evidence suggests that we have not gone stale but that we can not handle injury to Laporte.

Anyone can argue that if x happens we should do y. You need to say whether you think x has happened i.e. Pep has lost the players. We can all agree with a generality that once a coach loses the dressing room he is done. If you claim that Pep has indeed lost the players, and should be doing a better job at defensively drilling the team, then I think this argument will indeed get criticism. There's no justification for it. We know the side's struggling but there are more obvious explanations than putting it down to the coaching

I think your long held opinion that Laporte will sort out most of our defensive problems isn’t realistic but we will find out soon enough.

Long goal kick why? We’ve played out from the back against much better sides and retained the ball. We lose the header, we lose the 50/50, Stones then let’s Zaha run instead of taking him out and accepting the yellow card. Frustrating.
Spot on.. I bet Pep was going mental with the team afterwards for the whole sequence which led up to Palace's equaliser. We were saying in our seats in the Family Stand that the team needed to calm down and gather itself when all that 'goalkick/timewasting' stuff was going on and a few of us were saying words to the effect of 'don't go long.. manage the game.. why risk losing possession?' as Ederson shaped to take the kick. Had Eddy waited until we could play the ball out in our usual fashion, I'm sure we'd have seen two things happen.. (a) we wouldn't have given Palace the chance to gain possession, which led in succession to Aguero's minimal aerial challenge, De Bruyne's weak challenge, Cancelo's rush of blood and Stones's lack of bite with Zaha and (b) that f**kwit of a referee yesterday would've immediately booked Eddy for timewasting, confirming his complete f**kwittery given the way he'd spent all afternoon doing nothing about Palace's timewasting, apart from his 'attempts' to speed up the Palace goalkeeper with those 'Paddington hard stares' of his.. Hey ho, on to the next game, lads, 3 points on Tuesday please!

We can’t win the league anyway so not that arsed
I think we just need to go big in cups and the league will just tick over
People slagging of stones etc
He along with others like mendy and Laporte need games before big cup games
You moan about pep but when he’s gone we’ll miss him big time

hate to dig out players and after the last couple of season how can you point fingers ?? stones taking a lot of shit and blame but we should have defended the ball better in the first place and just after we scored to make it 2.1 the team turn off and that is the problem this season, just turning off for a second you get punished by any team so the team should take the blame not just stones

city and pep are right to rotate and rest players in the premier league and with very big clubs games coming up you want a full fit squad to pick from, and let's not think the derby in the league cup is over by any means, even the home game in the fa cup vs fulham will be a very hard game, then madrid away is the biggest game of the season and we need our best 11 starting that game

He does change his system - see games at Man Utd and Liverpool

I know but what Im getting at is that the insistence on the fullbacks especally being so high up is what does cost us from time to time. - especially in the games you mention which is where it has cost us as it did against wolves where you konw that their whole game plan relies on fast breakaways (as do most teams) - however some teams have the players to really hurt us in those circumstances (Liverpool, Utd, Wolves Place -Zaha one on one against any defender is a problem)

Defensively his philosophy of dominating possession high up the pitch leaves us exposed on numerous occasions. Teams score against regularly from limited attempts on goal. Why because they get gilt edged chances.

We conceded just 4 goals in the last 14 games last season. That's as defensively solid as it gets. You won't find many other examples in history where a team concedes less than 0.3 goals per game over the final 4 months of the season.

It's not the system per se but the quality of the performers and their willingness to put in a shift by high pressing the opposition that determines whether the team is solid defensively. This season both the quality of some of the defensive players and the energy to press haven't been quite there.

Pep's philosophy is all risk and reward. However, when up against Barca a few years ago, he modified things and it didn't come off. As for the Liverpool front three - Salah's coming up to 28 but has only been scoring a significant number of goals since 2017. Sergio is a better striker than the Liverpool front three, Kane the lot. You judge a striker by the number of goals they score in a top team - it's a level playing field. Jesus near enough scores one in two.

Of course kun ins the better striker all around - gift any average striker/attacker with pace the space we do and they will hurt us however (see Traore a a perfect example..he is technically poor when compared to others but a speed merchant who causes us trouble becuase he has so much space and time....Imagine teams offering Leroy Sane that much space and time -he'd score 40 a season!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.