VAR impact and consequence log - game 27

MOTD coverage deliberately ignored the VAR posters. Must have been very frustrating for those who organised it.

I'm pretty certain broadcasters have been instructed to ignore all VAR protests, no mention of both sets of fans joining in with the Fuck VAR chants yesterday on the yank channel I watched, and although the cameras did occasionally glance over the sign protesters, the commentary basically took the piss, along the lines of "oh look you must be annoyed if you've gone to the trouble of printing your own sign chuckle chuckle"

This weekend alone has shown that VAR varies decisions as much as refs on the field.

And how an interpretation of handball can penalise an attacker but lets a defender off the hook flies in the face of any fairness being applied to the Laws. Ball off foot and grazes the sweat on a player's arm for any attacker is no goal, ball off foot onto outstretched arm for a defender is no pen. Just insulting bollocks from the people arbitrating and governing the game. The joy of watching football, win, draw or lose, is being sucked out week by week, game by game.

Last edited:
4th officials are completely incompetent in regards to added time and VAR. Get the VAR to do it, or a 3rd party.

I watched Watford v Spurs and BT Sport timed a VAR interruption as 3 mins 21 secs and the added time at half-time was 2 mins.

This should be easy and straightforward to measure the time devoted to VAR but it's done extremely badly at the moment. When you watch highlights on TV it looks pretty seamless but it isn't.

Not a major issue but an ongoing niggle and one easily solved.

This weekend alone has shown that VAR varies decisions as much as refs on the field.

And how an interpretation of handball can penalise an attacker but lets a defender off the hook flies in the face of any fairness being applied to the Laws. Ball off foot and grazes the sweat on a player's arm for any attacker is no goal, ball off foot onto outstretched arm for a defender is no pen. Just insulting bollocks from the people arbitrating and governing the game. The joy of watching football, win, draw or lose, is being sucked out week by week, game by game.
Unfortunately the law saw differently when the ball bounced from Micah Richards foot to his hand while lying prone on the ground at Anfield. The media, if I remember correctly, were adamant it was a nailed on penalty. Funny how their views alter and I don't think it's down to any law changes.

4th officials are completely incompetent in regards to added time and VAR. Get the VAR to do it, or a 3rd party.

I watched Watford v Spurs and BT Sport timed a VAR interruption as 3 mins 21 secs and the added time at half-time was 2 mins.

This should be easy and straightforward to measure the time devoted to VAR but it's done extremely badly at the moment. When you watch highlights on TV it looks pretty seamless but it isn't.

Not a major issue but an ongoing niggle and one easily solved.

The whole issue of playing time is just a disgrace. Why goalkeepers can continually flout the letter and spirit of the LotG without a sanction appearing, and if it does it generally materialises around 87mins, is beyond any simple understanding. What would happen to any outfield player who continually infringed the laws of the game? Yellow card after a repetition? The Palace canary was told about the time wasting after 28mins, and Scott, the useless ballcock that he is, continued to 'warn' him for the rest of the game. The Palace throw-ins were taken just a little more quickly than a fuckin' midge flying backwards. And then we get the ultimate time management insult of 'The fourth official has indicated that there will be 2 added mins' when everyone in the ground knows the fuckin' goalie has wasted five on his own! If there is one single solitary thing that would make me walk away from the game it is the knowledge that the ninety minutes is shrunk every fuckin' game to summat less than an hour!

Unfortunately the law saw differently when the ball bounced from Micah Richards foot to his hand while lying prone on the ground at Anfield. The media, if I remember correctly, were adamant it was a nailed on penalty. Funny how their views alter and I don't think it's down to any law changes.

They implemented VAR and found that it conflicted with the written LotG, so they rewrite those LotG, and when they find that they are disadvantaging some teams they have a redraft. The whole business of handball from the waft of the ball on Otamendi's sleeve over in Germany to the present is just one long episode of blatant misapplication, pantomimic bungling and downright cheating.

Penal offences and the associated sanctions are made up week by week. What was handball last week where Team A concedes, is miraculously wiped off when Team A can now benefit.

Until VAR consistently gives similar decisions for similar offences (or non offences) then it is a bag of shite.

Last edited:
The whole issue of playing time is just a disgrace. Why goalkeepers can continually flout the letter and spirit of the LotG without a sanction appearing, and if it does it generally materialises around 87mins, is beyond any simple understanding. What would happen to any outfield player who continually infringed the laws of the game? Yellow card after a repetition? The Palace canary was told about the time wasting after 28mins, and Scott, the useless ballcock that he is, continued to 'warn' him for the rest of the game. The Palace throw-ins were taken just a little more quickly than a fuckin' midge flying backwards. And then we get the ultimate time management insult of 'The fourth official has indicated that there will be 2 added mins' when everyone in the ground knows the fuckin' goalie has wasted five on his own! If there is one single solitary thing that would make me walk away from the game it is the knowledge that the ninety minutes is shrunk every fuckin' game to summat less than an hour!
Both you and Marvin are correct to point this out.

The time taken with VAR checks never correlates with the amount of additional time added on as far as I've been able to see this past year or so, whether watching us live in the Premier League and cup competitions or watching other teams/games on tv.

And as for timewasting at goal kicks etc, well yesterday's effort from the 'Palace canary' as you call him was straight out of the 'Tim Howard Masterclass on Timewasting Manual'.. towards the end of the first half I observed the stadium clock when the ball went out for a goal kick to Palace. From the moment the ball crossed the line to it being hoofed back in play, it took 41 seconds. I'm not sure how many goal kicks they had in total but let's say there were 15. At that rate, we spectators lose 615 seconds of play, equivalent to more than 10 minutes/10% of playing time.

And the referees are letting teams get away with this time and time again. As I said elsewhere earlier, the f**kwit we had refereeing yesterday did nothing but give the occasional 'Paddington hard stare' to show the Palace 'keeper who was in charge.

The sooner they start booking players for time wasting and the sooner they show on the screens the clock being stopped for any delays in the game (especially including VAR checks that are underway) the better..

Last edited:
Both you and Marvin are correct to point this out.

The time taken with VAR checks never correlates with the amount of additional time added on as far as I've been able to see this past year or so, whether watching us live in the Premier League and cup competitions or watching other teams/games on tv.

And as for timewasting at goal kicks etc, well yesterday's effort from the 'Palace canary' as you call him was straight out of the 'Tim Howard Masterclass on Timewasting Manual'.. towards the end of the first half I observed the stadium clock when the ball went out for a goal kick to Palace. From the moment the ball crossed the line to it being hoofed back in play, it took 41 seconds. I'm not sure how many goal kicks they had in total but let's say there were 15. At that rate, we spectators lose 615 seconds of play, equivalent to more than 10 minutes/10% of playing time.

And the referees are letting teams get away with this time and time again. As I said elsewhere earlier, the f**kwit we had refereeing yesterday did nothing but give the occasional 'Paddington hard stare' to show the Palace 'keeper who was in charge.

The sooner they start booking players for time wasting and the sooner they show on the screens the clock being stopped for any delays in the game (especially including VAR checks that are underway) the better..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.