Premier League Games 18/19 January

I think today's game at Anfield showed that much of the discussion about replacing Vinny is empty nonsense. We are indisputably less effective as a team without Vinny but Vinny was always going to be irreplaceable. What today showed yet again is that Maguire is not only not a replacement for Vinnie in a month of Sundays, he isn't as good as Ottamendi or Stones and is a complete waste of money at what he cost. Vinny leaving means a lot more than just bringing in A N Other in central defence.

The baffling bit is no one has really come up with an effective way of stopping or beating them yet. Teams worked us out a bit and made it difficult but so far it's not happening in our league against them. Their style is different to ours but no less effective so I wouldn't knock it, it works. It would still be interesting to see them cope without VVD and Mane for a few months but if they stay fit I think they will win every game left.

"Gee whizz, hasn't the premier league got boring and predictable all of a sudden" said the reporter as he typed out his post match report, just as he'd done previously when Manchester City were in a similar position. Nearby, a lone Scouse heard his words and raised his perm, looking to identify the heathen...

The baffling bit is no one has really come up with an effective way of stopping or beating them yet. Teams worked us out a bit and made it difficult but so far it's not happening in our league against them. Their style is different to ours but no less effective so I wouldn't knock it, it works. It would still be interesting to see them cope without VVD and Mane for a few months but if they stay fit I think they will win every game left.

Napoli seem to have found a way. What's strange is their pretty shit at the moment.

You need to stop the supply ie stop Trent Arnold and Robertson providing the assists. Easier said than done but if you do that then you have a chance

We were missing chances earlier in the season but have improved recently. We are scoring goals from shots on target at a slightly better rate than Liverpool. Actually, we have scored most goals in Europe. We have been bad in our box and the reason is obvious. Had Liverpool had just one fit CB for the majority of the season not named VVD, they would have had a lot of defensive problems too. Even without injuries they went 12 league games without a clean sheet at one point. Imagine they had a serious injury crisis like us.

I don't really think the drop in quality would be that huge from VvD as most people think. They have just become a very functional side that is beyond relying on one player now.

You can also argue us relying on one centre-back after the money spent in that area is a farce.

Either way, I trust our guys to rectify it. The moaning about Var and the media and whatever just doesn't sit right with me. They are obviously a good side

I don't really think the drop in quality would be that huge from VvD as most people think. They have just become a very functional side that is beyond relying on one player now.

You can also argue us relying on one centre-back after the money spent in that area is a farce.

Either way, I trust our guys to rectify it. The moaning about Var and the media and whatever just doesn't sit right with me. They are obviously a good side

Didn't we have a highly consistent team winning 198 pts over two seasons? We managed to do wiithout Kevin for most of last season but we had Bernardo who is world class in that position. We don't have such options at CB and it showed.

The argument they are a functional sife and don't depend on one player is highly suspect. It's based on little evidence. None of VVD and the front 3 has missed more than 2-3 games all season. If they can go 12 games without a clean sheet with almost all their defenders fit, then they can easily suffer without VVD, taemas will be encouraged to have a go, etc. Hey, they struggled against Monterrey and nearly got beaten by a mediocre side when they had to play with Henderson at CB.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.