How are we feeling about renewals

I someone turns up to support City every week, how are they a tourist? You don't have an argument.
Yes I agree with you Marvin....they aint a tourist if they turn up week after week, year after year, for 53 years and counting like me. But if they only turn up for the odd game, then another tourist turns up in their place for the next game after that, then they are tourists. Thats what me and half and half meant.

Yes I agree with you Marvin....they aint a tourist if they turn up week after week, year after year, for 53 years and counting like me. But if they only turn up for the odd game, then another tourist turns up in their place for the next game after that, then they are tourists. Thats what me and half and half meant.
Well when I first started watching football I was a tourist then because my Dad just took me to the odd game, and eventually after a long time I got a season ticket. Not everyone can go every week.

When I first started following football I don;t think most people had season tickets. You would just queue up on the day.

I like it when I see fans lining up to have their photo taken infront of the main stand, or they are excited to see players like Aguero and de Bruyne and want their photos.

I get the attitude towards the Coroprate side of thing at the club i.e. creeping hospitality sections that grow ever bigger and money buying access to tickets. However I don't think there's an army of tourists waiting to take our seats. I keep seeing that description used but I don't like it.

If a blue is making his first trip of the season then I really hope they enjoy it especially if they have come a long way. And many do.

So many brilliant replies , for me my biggest gripe over VAR at the moment is genuinely the KO times the fact we had 6 late kick offs in a row was a piss take. Push comes to shove the constant fannying around with times is what will do it for me. At first it’s pleasing sky, then BT , now it’s amazon prime , who else could it be next ...
That’s the thing I’ve enjoyed most this season. I much prefer 17:30 kick offs.

If there's more increases I'll consider giving mine up. My love for City is unconditional but there's becomes a point when it's just too expensive.

"Tourists". Let me tell you about tourists. 12 months ago, one of my son's friends came over from Phoenix for a couple of games. It was his first ever visit to Manchester and his first opportunity for seeing a City game in the flesh.

He wanted to experience everything. Doing the stadium tour, going in the shop & buying stuff for his 3 boys, seeing the team coach arrive, being interviewed by Ian Cheeseman & then Natalie, with his boys on the blue carpet to greet the team, going to Mary D's, City Square and the novelty (for him) of just getting inside the stadium, buying a pie and seeing the pitch and team play for real, instead of via a TV screen and singing with the crowd. For him, that 10,000 mile round trip was an absolute dream come true and a memory he'll treasure for the rest of his life.

Then I see some of the cynics who moan about:
  • having to make the effort of getting to games despite living just a few miles away,
  • Hugh Ferris,
  • Danny/Natalie/Hugh Ferris & City Square generally,
  • the pies & the price of beer,
  • Hugh Ferris,
  • John Stones and Ilkay Gundogan,
  • singing about Dzeko or the rags,
  • The PA system,
  • People sitting,
  • People standing,
  • People singing,
  • People not singing,
  • The half time entertainment!
  • VAR and the refs,
  • Being searched,
  • Not being searched properly,
  • Did I mention Hugh Ferris?
  • Early leavers,
  • The traffic,
  • Everything else people moan about.
Then I think about Chris Williams who collapsed and died outside the Emirates and the captain of the original ladies team, Rowena Foxwell, who I used to work with and who sat with her family in EL1, where I sometimes used to bump into her. She went to bed as normal one night just a year ago and never woke up. She was 48 I think.

Perhaps we should bin off season cards and just have tourists, who at least appreciate their once in a lifetime trips. Of course things aren't perfect but maybe we should all be "tourists" and overlook the imperfections for 90 minutes or so, treating every game as if it was our first. Our as if it could be our last.

I'm renewing by the way. The only time I thought semi-seriously about not doing so was in the Pearce era, where I was bored to fucking tears. If I'd had to pay for my season ticket all at once, I might not have done but the club introduced payment by instalments so I renewed, as did many of you.

Last edited:
I've been going home and away since 1967. Matchday book, season ticket, season cards, the lot for 53 years. I brought my two sons up with the faith, both season card holders since they were 5 and they have only missed two games in the last seven years (CSKA away when City fans were banned and Shakhtar Donetsk away). We stand in 111 immediately next to the away fans and we always try to sing and support as best we can. All this is just to give you some background and is not a "We're bigger Blues than you" post. I'm sure lots reading this will recognise the sacrifice, the considerable finance and the harm to personal relationships (wives, girlfriends, etc) and careers that this loyalty has brought for us three and you reading this. We have all done it willingly and gladly and with zero regrets.

This season has been different. The game and matchday experience (I hate that phrase!) that we know and love is being slowly eroded. It is being eroded bit by bit, drip drip drip, by all the factors previously mentioned in earlier posts. No standing, growing numbers of tourists, sanitized, over zealous stewarding, no smoking, alcohol bans, bent VAR, biased media with constant attacks on City, indifferent atmospheres, snowflakes, PC brigade, price increases, etc etc etc. It has reached a tipping point for me and my two sons. We will soon have a decision to make regarding renewing. If I'm undecided then it can be put down to me being an old fart, a dinosaur missing the "good old days and not changing with the times". But how can you explain two younger blokes, die hard Blues, undecided about renewing? Football is becoming more and more a TV sport....an entertainment business....profits....run by big corporate businesses with different agendas to the match attending fan. We are no longer a priority (if we ever were). The old school working class fan are not wanted anymore. We have become the victim of our success. We helped create the beautiful game and others then wanted it....and have took it.

If the three of us all decide not to renew, I doubt we would be missed. We would be replaced quite easily....but ask yourselves by who? What would our replacements look like? Maybe we are in a minority, but heed the warning, we could soon be a growing minority. All the above sounds like just another moaning old Blue. It's not. Three die hard Blues with a combined over a hundred years of following the Blues home and away. If we are disillusioned and wavering on renewing, what does that say about the future?
Post of the day. I hear your concerns pal. Sleep on it. I am. My gut feeling will probably decide I carry on going to games.

Lots of great posts and arguments for both sides here.
Can't disagree with any really. All valid points.
Personally, another price hike will, added to the blatantly corrupt VAR will see me lose my season ticket I have had since 1983 ...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.