Burns Week

When I was a kid we used to have haggis, mashed potato and mushy peas about once a month. No idea where my dad used to get the haggis from. I think I've only had it once since, somewhere was selling it in the mid 1990s and I bought one, again can't remember where. Do supermarkets sell them or is it only butchers ?

When I was a kid we used to have haggis, mashed potato and mushy peas about once a month. No idea where my dad used to get the haggis from. I think I've only had it once since, somewhere was selling it in the mid 1990s and I bought one, again can't remember where. Do supermarkets sell them or is it only butchers ?
Morrisons definitely sell it.

Haggis chips and beans works well for me. Spicier the better.

Had veggie haggis once and that was good as well.

If you go to a good butcher in Scotland, you can buy one of the great dishes of the world. A good Haggis is marvellous with a really subtle flavour. Tatties and neeps set it off nicely. Beats tripe and onions.
I agree. Done a lot of work in Scotland and the best haggis I've ever had was from a small independent butcher/fishmonger in a village somewhere along the A76 south of Kilmarnock towards M74. If anyone knows this shop please tell me, as next time I'm over the border I'll make sure I go to this shop. Like I said he also had a fish counter and I also bought some lovely fresh haddock there.

I like haggis with a friend egg on top.

Supermarkets sell haggis. Avoid 'Halls,' they are the equivalent of Bells whiskey. Mass produced and far too salty.

A week? What do they do for the other six days and 23 hours?

Good question. It's Burns Night, not even a day let alone a week.

A test of Boris Johnson's negotiation skills should be to see whether he can get the USDA to reverse its ban on the importation of haggis. "We'll see your chlorinated chicken and raise you a haggis..."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.