Utd's net transfer spending about to surpass Pep's City.

They just can't have spent more - they don't spend anything! Players sign for the love of the club. It's always been like that - it's the United way! Ooops, I've been spending too much time reading the RDAHMeedya spin on all things to do with football expenditure!

I am not sure anyone is really arguing that United have spent badly, including in the media, so a comparison with us is pretty futile as everybody knows this.

I am more interested in how we do things going forward as I think we need to ship the deadwood out, integrate academy players and find the successors to Kompany/Aguero/Fernandiniho.

I am not sure anyone is really arguing that United have spent badly, including in the media, so a comparison with us is pretty futile as everybody knows this.

I am more interested in how we do things going forward as I think we need to ship the deadwood out, integrate academy players and find the successors to Kompany/Aguero/Fernandiniho.
You can concentrate on what we do but the vast majority of City fans have been extremely irritated at the way our club has been portrayed in the media as cheats.

In the last 48 hours Tebas has referred to City inflating the transfer market. Material facts such as Man Utd about to outspend Pep at Man City matter (Utd are £60m short of City) counteract that.

The American owners have done a magnificent job turning the skysports fanbase into a herd of part qualified accountants.

You can concentrate on what we do but the vast majority of City fans have been extremely irritated at the way our club has been portrayed in the media as cheats.

In the last 48 hours Tebas has referred to City inflating the transfer market. Material facts such as Man Utd about to outspend Pep at Man City matter (Utd are £60m short of City) counteract that.

Well lets hope he is reading Blue Moon then. But the reality is he probably already knows how much United have spent, as does the mainstream media, but as their not currently a threat, its not worth Tebas targeting them.

Last edited:
Net spend is the biggest load of nonsense in football. Pep has a net spend of £455m and critics say "Of course he should win all those trophies, given the money spent". We could bring his net spend down to zero tomorrow by selling Sterling, Sane, Jesus and Laporte and he would still have all those trophies in the cabinet. Would the same critics then give him the credit he deserves because he has dominated the English game for the past two seasons, with a lower net spend than Dean Smith?

Critics of Manchester City often argue that Manchester City's /Pep's success should be benchmarked against our transfer spend. So with Man Utd about to spend £60m on Bruno Fenrnandes let's see how City and Utd's transfer spending compare before this transfer.

Source: Transfermkt.co.uk

Main figures are under Manchester City and Mancheter Utd, Compettion Premier League
Adjustments for Competitions Premier League U18 and U23

I cannot guarantee I have not made any typos. So please check the data if you wish to reproduce.

£m
City_______Bought_______Sold
2019/20___151.20________62.10
2018/19___70.73_________48.69
2017/18___285.75________82.22
2016/17___192.15________31.82

Net: 475
Adjust for players U18 and U23 : -20
Total: 455

Utd_______Bought_______Sold
2019/20___143.10________64.78
2018/19___74.43_________27.50
2017/18___178.56________40.95
2016/17___166.50________42.53

Net: 386.83
Adjust for players U18 and U23: 8
Total: 395

So Utd's net transfer spend will match Man City's if they spend £60m on Bruno Fernandes
Yes but they pay the lowest wages. Oh hang on!

It’s a pointless stat.

For one Sanchez and Ibrahimovic cost United nothing from a net spend point of view, but in reality they spent a fortune to get them.

Another for example is Aguero and he is no net spend for Pep and an amazing player, he could and should leave for free and we could well spend 100 million and have an inferior player. Should Pep or whichever manager be expected to do better because of this.

There are so many variables in it that it suits simple scousers because of the Coutinho money and also fans who just cherry pick information.

The best way to judge is the mosaic method of standing back and looking at it as a whole picture. How much would the squad be worth, any players sat on the bench on big contracts that need moving on but can’t. You look at City’s and it looks good although we have wasted money in defence. Look at United and it’s an absolute shambles. Players being paid 200K to play somewhere else, highest paid keeper in the world but in a long bad patch, players needed in defence, midfield, wing and attack.

I

Another for example is Aguero and he is no net spend for Pep and an amazing player, he could and should leave for free and we could well spend 100 million and have an inferior player. Should Pep or whichever manager be expected to do better because of this.
To be fair they have their Aguero equivalent. Phil Jones was signed about the same time and is younger. I doubt we could get him for 100 million.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.