Not talking family members!!

Don’t feel obligated to speak to someone because you think you should. It’s like being in a marriage that you aren’t happy in, don’t stay in it.

People change. You might have been close as brother and sister as kids but as adults you might add nothing to each other’s lives but misery. If you’re happy in your life, there’s no need to add something to detract from that.

Because she's a girl. Can't be difficult, can it ?
go_fuck_yourself_felicia_day.gif

:)

I haven't spoken with my dad for over 3 years, before that things were strained but we managed to keep things civil but it finally blew up due to a combination of his meddlesome wife ( his 3rd one) and his refusal to stand up to her. He's in his mid 90s, I expect the next time I see him he'll be in a box, or maybe I will, either way life is much less complicated without the contact. It's not ideal but somehow it's better.
I haven't spoken with my younger sister for a similar amount of time, again it's easier all round this way, was quite comical at a family wedding 18months ago, everyone using avoidance tactics to ensure the wedding passed peacefully.

I wish things were different but I won't have any regrets over it, just sadness.

Haven’t seen or spoken to my father in more than a decade and am very unlikely to do so in the next decade.

We don’t by-and-large get to choose our family, but we can more often that not, once we become adults, choose which among our family are worth including in our lives.

Not everyone is worth that investment of time, energy, and — in the case of those that live far away from their family members — money. Many are, but some only serve as shackles or worse, poison.

My advice is don’t let generally good relationships sour for inconsequential, silly reasons — no one is perfect but most do try to do the best they can, as they can, and it is important to remember that. Most of your family are not internationally trying to hurt you or undermine you, even when they do infrequently do just that — most often it is a misunderstanding or misalignment between intentions and perceptions.

But, that said, don’t suffer those in your family that regularly couldn’t be arsed or consistently make you feel less than. Chances are they won’t be impacted much by your absence in their life, but yours will be substantially improved by their absence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.