Self defence at work

give it to gordon

Team supported
Manchester City
I work for a small town council, and in the last few years the abuse we get when working in the town has increased a lot. At night or early evening there are fights and stabbings fairly regular, a lot of homeless and drinking problems around the town. People get us confused with the main council ( district ) and have a go at us for all types of problems that are nothing to do with us. At a staff meeting I brought this up and asked if we could have self defence lessons, which was met with laugher from the town clerk, who works in an office. I thought any health and safety issue should be taken seriously !.

My mate who works for another council in the county was chatting on our way up to a City game the other week and he told me that their workforce are discussing with their council the wearing of stab vest as one of their workers was threaten with a knife when street cleaning.

We have another staffing meeting soon so might up the anti and ask for a stab vest .

have any of you guys and girls had self defence lessons for your work ? I would like to know how common it is ….cheers

As a psychiatric nurse we had annual training in all aspects of restraint, unfortunately part of the job sometimes and more usefully breakaway techniques ie how to physically lessen the risk of damage from assault. This has recently been rolled out to therapists in the service I currently work for.

I suspect there are legal issues regarding self defence, reasonable force etc but it is an increasing problem nowadays.

@give it to gordon if you want to know more or would like contact details for a training company for breakaway techniques pm me. I’m not on commission before anyone asks. A reasonable employer might consider buying in this training

Many local authorities send their staff on managing challenging and aggressive behaviour courses. Self defence is not something that they would entertain but these courses are about minimising aggression and protecting yourself. As someone that has been spat on, had my eye socket fractured with a hammer (whilst on a call out with the police), and been held at knifepoint a couple of times when in peoples houses when I worked with a LA, I know how scary it can get. Lots of unpredictability and aggression out there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.