Fulham (H) - FA Cup Round 4 Post-Match Thread

They probably never asked him about it.
Pep has previously had a pop at our attendances and atmosphere without being asked.
I know he never had a bad word to say about his club.
I know he has been fantastic for us but he should never have a go at our fan base.
We were here long before he came and I am sure most will be there long after he has gone.

Hence why I said “helped” — he absolutely was not a legend in football management globally before coming to City. His reputation as a good manager was established, to be sure, but I don’t think any reasonable person would say he had the same level of prestige before City as he did after (for good reason, as his very real achievements with us set him apart).

I can’t say I would agree that managing the Italian national team now is more prestigious globally than what he did with City. At least, not until he wins the World Cup with them ( ;-) ). Though, I do agree it is more prestigious in Italy.

I am not sure if you think I am criticising Mancini, but that was definitely not my intention. I was only making the obvious point that he is unlikely to outright slag off the club that will help him from a reputation and financial standpoint for the remainder of his football-related career, unless the club does something horrible that really can’t be ignored or he creates a level of prestigious completely independent of his exploits with City (i.e. manage Italy to a World Cup win).

Sorry Sebastian I cannot see your point here. Mancinis reputation far exceeded good prior to managing City, having won three domestic titles on the bounce, set the record for most number of consecutive wins with Inter Milan which followed up winning trophies (cups) at Lazio and Sampdoria.

In Italy that would and has given him legendary status as has his stellar playing career and subsequent mgmt of the national side. As your point related to his future earnings potential, as a reason he wrote the positive comments to City fans, the likelihood is that will be the main driver and country of his future earnings potential. In fact I doubt I have seen him in the UK since he left, let alone earning a fantastic income from media engagements or links to the club etc.

I think the more likely reason he did it was because of the respect he held for the fans rather than a method or future-proofing earnings.

Nice to see you posting though Sebastian, although we disagree here.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.