Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is that The FA have introduced a 'mid season' break, where all teams will have the same time off, although staggered so not at the same time. The FA have then written to clubs asking that they respect the break, and not to schedule any friendlies etc during that time, as the break is designed to benefit the players and clubs by allowing some time off. They then schedule FA cup replays during the break..... It is farcical. Liverpool have the squad capable to field a team for the replay, and so do most other teams in the PL, but what is the point in having a break, if the FA are scheduling games during it? If the same applied to City, I would hope Pep and the club made a similar point of saying they were not going to be at the game, and field the kids as well. It is not just Liverpool in this position though, and clubs like Spurs and Southampton may well field strong teams in their replay, but they shouldn't even have to make the decision, as they shouldn't have a break that isn't totally free from possible fixtures.

As for staggering the break, just give everyone the same 2 weeks off and stop pandering to broadcasters. Would 2 weeks in January or February without any games featuring a PL team be such a terrible thing? The same amount of games would be broadcast throughout the season anyway.

But it isn't the FA that have introduce the mid season break, it's the Premier League and as usual the two organisations seems incapable of collaborating in the best interest of the game. It's ridiculous that it was even ever an option that replays would have to be played in the 'break'. -

Agree with everything you've said, but it was the Premier League that scheduled this break and insisted that teams must not play any games, not the FA. You're absolutely right that it's farcical that the FA and PL aren't on the same page regarding this.

We must have been typing the same thing at the same time :)

Agree with everything you've said, but it was the Premier League that scheduled this break and insisted that teams must not play any games, not the FA. You're absolutely right that it's farcical that the FA and PL aren't on the same page regarding this.

Well, thats the problem isn't it, the PL and the FA need to get together and sort the schedule out. Unfortunately, I don't think a solution is possible that would suit all PL teams, some will be in Europe, some may go deep in domestic cups, the odd team may play in the World Club Cup etc. The only solution that will allow a proper break and less fixture congestion would involve fucking around with the domestic cups, as European football has too much money involved, and will dictate everything. Change can be good, but this will lead to the abolition of the domestic cups as we know them, which will be a sad day for English Football.

But who cares right? We can play in Europe every 2 weeks instead and earn loads more cash, and then despite this increase in revenue, we can put ticket prices up a few percent every year, when most salaries increase by a smaller amount. We can then all argue about fans being dick heads because they choose not to go to the games any more because they can't actually afford it. Wonderful.

The reason I ask is to understand whether they are actually members of the the 25 (?) man squad or wet behind the ears trainees.
There were 4 players under 20.
Including Elliot who was 16 but since his reputation of being the literal best player in anyone’s academy I don’t think it’s fair to include him as wet behind the ears.

the rest was their usual bench.

Well, thats the problem isn't it, the PL and the FA need to get together and sort the schedule out. Unfortunately, I don't think a solution is possible that would suit all PL teams, some will be in Europe, some may go deep in domestic cups, the odd team may play in the World Club Cup etc. The only solution that will allow a proper break and less fixture congestion would involve fucking around with the domestic cups, as European football has too much money involved, and will dictate everything. Change can be good, but this will lead to the abolition of the domestic cups as we know them, which will be a sad day for English Football.

But who cares right? We can play in Europe every 2 weeks instead and earn loads more cash, and then despite this increase in revenue, we can put ticket prices up a few percent every year, when most salaries increase by a smaller amount. We can then all argue about fans being dick heads because they choose not to go to the games any more because they can't actually afford it. Wonderful.
We could, of course, reduce the Prem to 16 clubs. Oh, hush my mouth, mea culpa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.