COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due to be travelling to China in March and April for work, to Hangzhou and Ningbo first trip and then to Hong Kong and Guangzhou for Trade Fairs the second.

Can't see those trade fairs being allowed to proceed if this isn't quashed quickly. 100s of thousands of people from worldwide mixing with exhibitiors from all over China. No ta.

The guys from our HK office are saying that the situation is worse than is being reported via media and there is a growing sense of panic in the central Chinese cities affected. The number of suspected cases is in the 10s of thousands based on estimates by HK scientists/experts, from people in the Wuhan area alone.

In HK itself schools are off until 17th February, already confirmed over the weekend and most of the Chinese New Year celebrations and gatherings have been none existent.

Thanks for sharing.

No worries, info is king at this point, and that article being even a week out is pretty outdated now. Most media sources seem to be doing deaths/infections as there calculations which isn't helping when looking for accurate info.

I'm due to be travelling to China in March and April for work, to Hangzhou and Ningbo first trip and then to Hong Kong and Guangzhou for Trade Fairs the second.

Can't see those trade fairs being allowed to proceed if this isn't quashed quickly. 100s of thousands of people from worldwide mixing with exhibitiors from all over China. No ta.

The guys from our HK office are saying that the situation is worse than is being reported via media and there is a growing sense of panic in the central Chinese cities affected. The number of suspected cases is in the 10s of thousands based on estimates by HK scientists/experts, from people in the Wuhan area alone.

In HK itself schools are off until 17th February, already confirmed over the weekend and most of the Chinese New Year celebrations and gatherings have been none existent.
Sinapore are apparently telling teachers and students who have been to china to not return to school for 2 weeks after getting back. that one is only hearsay from a mate over there.

We have had outbreaks before (saudi 2012)

Is it as serious as the news is scare mongering or like other virus outbreaks gonna be over not long after it starts.

It is more serious imo because you might be infected and showing no outward symptoms of illness for upto 14 days.....imagine that, someone can pass on the virus and appear for all intents and purposes to be perfectly well.

also, it can be transmitted aerially, so likely highly contagious.

I have a regional meeting in 2 weeks and I’m thinking of asking Chinese colleagues not to attend.

ive heard from Chinese colleagues that is is far, far, worse than what’s been reported.

A few Chinese / Japanese mates of mine ave all said the same thing about these, and its usually to do with smell, a lot of them come scented and are used to hide smells rather than anything functional.

doesn't seem to be mentioned in that article though.

Here's one.
https://japantoday.com/category/fea...gical-masks-its-not-always-for-health-reasons
Whenever I've asked people it'd been because they're sick rather than because they're worried about breathing something in. If you have a cold, you wear the mask as a courtesy to other people.

You do see more of them during heavy pollution though, so there's obviously a bit of both. Most of the staff in my local supermarket are wearing them at the moment.

It is more serious imo because you might be infected and showing no outward symptoms of illness for upto 14 days.....imagine that, someone can pass on the virus and appear for all intents and purposes to be perfectly well.

also, it can be transmitted aerially, so likely highly contagious.

I have a regional meeting in 2 weeks and I’m thinking of asking Chinese colleagues not to attend.

Some of my team were due to go in a couple of weeks and our company had just essentially banned all travel there. Our Shanghai office is closed by the government until Feb 10 and the general consensus is that it will be extended, possibly significantly. China plays the long game, so won’t have any qualms about creating disruption for a while.
Talking to colleagues on the ground today, they all say it’s way worse than what’s being admitted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.