Criticism of Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Empty seats issue exists in the parallel universe created by the media. The same universe where LFC are saints and city are evil.

Pep was making a call to arms. We get the city fans up for it and no one can beat us.

I think you're correct with this. It's a shame we, the fans, can't get up for it a bit more often though.

I don't believe I've heard about this before, anywhere I can have a read about it?
Just Google it, ‘Manchester City-Berlin-1937-Refuse to give Nazi salute’ and you’ll find all the background. Or read some of Gary James’s articles on it. My Dad first told me about this as a kid in the 50s, how City stood up to the Nazis, just as he and his pals from Hulme did a couple of years later when the stakes were even higher.. He was well proud of what they all did standing up to bullies..

I've watched Pep's presser twice and when he mention's the rags history, I'm not sure if he's blowing smoke up their arse or taking the piss, I'm slightly leaning to the latter, having seen the content a couple of times.

Just Google it, ‘Manchester City-Berlin-1937-Refuse to give Nazi salute’ and you’ll find all the background. Or read some of Gary James’s articles on it. My Dad first told me about this as a kid in the 50s, how City stood up to the Nazis, just as he and his pals from Hulme did a couple of years later when the stakes were even higher.. He was well proud of what they all did standing up to bullies..

Superb stuff from the pride of Manchester, that includes your father and his mates of course.

I think Pep would want nothing more than to go on the pitch at the final whistle and applaud the fans at all home matches as per Klopp but he must be dismayed at the virtual empty stadium and heads for the tunnel About the 80th minute I start to squirm in my seat hoping that there isn't an injury stoppage because that signals another exodus. We will reap what we sow.
We don't want him to be over the top cheese fest

I think Pep would want nothing more than to go on the pitch at the final whistle and applaud the fans at all home matches as per Klopp but he must be dismayed at the virtual empty stadium and heads for the tunnel About the 80th minute I start to squirm in my seat hoping that there isn't an injury stoppage because that signals another exodus. We will reap what we sow.
Klopp's a gauche, embarrassing weirdo.

There's a time and a place for such over the top celebrations. Routine home league wins in mid December are not it.

Empty seats issue exists in the parallel universe created by the media. The same universe where LFC are saints and city are evil.

Pep was making a call to arms. We get the city fans up for it and no one can beat us.
I hadn't thought about that but it could well be exactly what Klopp gets praised for, just lost in translation.

Opinions are like arseholes, so reading through the thread my issue is not with anyone’s feelings about Pep. Whilst I loved Mancini at the time, and he was perfect for us at that stage in our modern evolution, I wouldn’t want him anywhere near the club now. Pep is the guy we need now to steer us through the next stage of our evolution, and I’m delighted he’s our Manager right now. But that’s my personal opinion - nothing more.

What I can’t get my head around is when the opinions people express cloud the indisputable facts which can’t just be ignored to suit a narrative. The Klopp/Pep debate is a clear indication of this, and I’ve read some opinion in this thread which bears so little relation to the clear facts of the situation that it’s genuinely baffling.
That said, I don’t really read any of the main uk media outlets, for whom fact is almost always secondary to narrative, so I guess I don’t hold much sway with the lens the uk media want us to view football through - which is the only explanation I can think of for such committed revisionism.

So - to the Pep/Klopp debate. Let’s stick with the facts rather than opinion and conjecture. Klopp joined Liverpool at the beginning of October 2015 - in that time, he’s had the majority of the 15/16 season, three full seasons since then, and just over half of the current season. He’s finished 8th, 4th, 4th, 2nd and is on course to finish first this season. During his first 3 seasons he won precisely nothing. Zero. Nada.

Last year he won his only major trophy at Liverpool - and it was a biggie, granted. An incredible achievement - no question. But one trophy is all he has to show for 4 years of work. In that time, he has never finished ahead of City in the League. Ever. Not even once. He has never won a domestic trophy for his club. And the recent contempt for the cups during this season and last shouldn’t cloud his genuine attempts to win them prior to last season. In the League and the domestic cups, his record reads nothing but failure over four seasons.

Pep joined City in July 2016 - 8 months after Klopp at Liverpool. His first season drew a blank - unquestionably a failure - but from there he won the League and League Cup double in his second season, and an unprecedented League, FA Cup and League Cup treble in his third season. At the same point, and despite an 8 month head start - Klopp had won precisely fuck all.

Last season’s achievement by Pep (still just 6 months ago) is unparalleled in English football. No one has ever won the domestic treble before. Ferguson, English footballs most successful manger, used to be fond of saying it was impossible. Not for Pep, it wasn’t!

Last season’s CL win by Klopp was incredible, but to put it into context, a team wins the CL every single year. In England alone, teams have won the CL/European Cup 13 times. Shit - Liverpool themselves had won it 5 times already before Klopp took over. It’s far from unique.

No one has ever achieved what Pep did last year.

Now you can argue about starting points to contextualise the above. Fine - let’s look at that. When Klopp took over in October ‘15, he had 5 of his regular starters already at the Club (including 2 of the players who make up his undisputed starting 11 today) - Henderson, Firmino, Milner, Gomez and Lovren. He also had Coutinho, who was excellent for Liverpool - prompting Barca to pay a fortune to add him to their team, alongside current squad members Lallana and Origi and useful players like Sturridge, Lucas, Can, Mignolet and Skrtel. The squad was imbalanced, but definitely had enough talent to win one of the domestic cups (they came close in 2016, lest we forget!), and to form the basis for a challenge on the League with a couple of high quality additions. He then added Mane, Matip and Wijnaldum for his first full season (16/17) - finishing 4th that year, and Salah, Robertson, Oxlade-Chamberlain and van Dijk (and Alexander-Arnold becoming a regular) during 2017/18 - again, finishing 4th. That’s with 9 of his current starting 11. With 7 genuine starters added to his base over 2 full seasons, he won precisely nothing. He then had his most dramatic window in summer 2018, adding Alisson, Fabinho and Keita - with dramatic results.

In Pep’s first season, of last season’s vintage he had Vinnie, David, Raz, Kun, KDB, Fernandinho and Otamendi (7 compared to Klopp’s 5). Honorary mention should also go to Yaya and Zabba, although by then they were 34 and 32 respectively, and its fair to say their best years were behind them. The rest of the squad was populated by players such as Sagna, Fernando, Kolarov, Navas and Clichy - on a par with players like Moreno, Benteke, Sakho and Joe Allen at Liverpool. He then added first teamers Gundogan, Stones, Sane and Jesus, won fuck all, and then had our most dramatic window under his management in 2017, bringing in Ederson, Bernardo and Kyle Walker. With 7 genuine starters added over 2 years, he won the double, then the treble with the same team the year after.

Looking at the squads, both needed an overhaul - and both worked the market successfully to fill the gaps. There isn’t much to split them on that front.

Which brings us bank to the plain fact at the core of the argument. 5 major trophies during 3 years, vs 1 during just shy of 4 years.

Don’t believe the hype the uk media is pedalling - look at the facts. Klopp is a good manager, sure - but his record and achievements aren’t even as impressive as Mourinho, Ancelotti, Conte, Roberto Di Matteo or our very own Roberto Mancini. And he doesn’t hold a candle (pun entirely intended) to Pep.

That’s just a fact!
Dont like kiperty or the dippers but to compare him to those managers isnt fair imo hes been to two champions league finals in the last two years (winning one) and is probably going to get over 100 points this season and finishing well clear of us in 2nd no matter how much i hate them and how we have performed at times this season we cant deny what klopp has done at liverpool hes atleast almost as good as pep surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.