Man Utd (H) - LC SF 2nd Leg - Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smashing them tonight would be marvellous because I think their fans would lose the plot and riot but in the context of our season I believe it’s more important to show a conservative solid performance that shows were capable of just restricting opponents if/when we need to. A clean sheet is more important than scoring.
Why not both?

10-0 with United not having a single shot on target will do. ;-)

Given our dreadful record this season on counter-attacks against us (not least when we played this lot), they'd have no reason not to play it sitting back and hoping to hit us on the break. Worse teams than them — yes, even than them — have done us, and done us good, using that very simple tactic. I would expect Laporte to be playing some part in this, given that he was given a complete rest at the weekend, albeit not the full ninety minutes. That will help nullify their threat, such as it is. I'd be surprised and fairly angry if we don't win this match. I'd be astounded if we don't win the tie. But, hey, eeees football, as someone said…
I’m not sure they can just sit back when they’re chasing a two goal deficit. If they did, presumably we’d sit back too and not give them the opportunity to counter attack.

nothing more than an easy victory will do tonight. Im expecting a few goals, they cant park the bus so i see it being an open game, could be a good game. They are certainly coming in weaker than our previous encounter without rashford who is most prolific out of a bad bunch. Stick mi neck out, 4-1!

Bizarrely, five of the last 6 derbies were won by the away side.

Hopefully that ends tonight.
And United have come back from their last two two goal deficits in 2 legged games.

The tie is far from over. Need two goals before anyone can start thinking about knocking it about and taking the air out of the ball. Even then, there are few opportunities to make a statement, but a SF against a major rival is one that can make people sit up and take notice.

As much as we’d all like to believe it, they’re not a bad team and can play some good football. Anyone going into this thinking 10-0 is on the cards might be in for a bad surprise.

A win will do me. In fact, a 1 goal loss would do me, because the goal is to reach the Final. However, we have the chops to make the scoreline comfortable.

I’ll go for another 3-1, and would be very happy to get 2-0 up in the first half to rest a few players for Sunday at Spurs.

Here's how I think it'll go. There's no way in hell they will come at us hell for leather in the first half. They won't risk it. I fancy them to sit pretty deep in the 1st 45 and hope we take the bait. We should just retain possession if they do that and probe but not commit heavily and leave ourselves open to the sucker punch. We have a 2 goal lead to sit on.

If we are still 2 ahead by 65 min that's when they'll throw it at us. We must be ready to exploit them.

Guessing Utd will go with something like this:

De Gea
Bissaka Lindelof Jones Maguire Williams
Fred Matic
Lingard
James Martial

or

De Gea
Bissaka Lindelof Jones Maguire Williams
Fred Matic
James Lingard
Martial
So, assuming everyone bar Sane is good to go (didn't see Mendy or Laporte in the training clips tho), I think we'll go asymmetrical

--------------Aguero-----Mahrez
Mendy Bernardo De Bruyne-------
Gundogan Rodri
Laporte Fernandinho Walker
Bravo
With Walker or Dinho pushing into midfield if they go with the latter and only leave Martial up on his own

Going to be very interesting tonight. They played us very well first half in the league match but I don’t think they can afford to play counterattacking football tonight. They may come out all guns blazing which could be fun as we’ll definitely get chances. Hopefully we’ll be a bit more clinical than the first leg.

It’d be nice to see Raz, Foden and Jesus get derby goals but as long as we win I don’t care who scores for us, several Phil “the face”Jones ogs would be just fine.

I hope Pep sets us up right as he has got the formations spot on since the home derby, Palace match apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.