#27 | João Cancelo - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really think he should be playing LB with walker at RB.

Positive last night, few runs forward clever on the ball.

Can’t have too much criticism cause I remember one moment when he ran forward, through uniteds midfield and he had no one to pass too!

He was infront of sterling who didn’t make a run wide behind the defence to get a dangerous ball into the box. Ultimately lost it and people moaned!

There were two instances when players smashed the ball five yards in front of him, which if he were left-footed just might have been stoppable, and then they all stood with arms out wondering why the ball had gone out for a throw.

The moment we play with a right-footed player at left-back (except for Clichy), we automatically lose some of our fluidity. Okay in a one-off game but not a long-term plan.

Weird that right back can play LCB, not give the opposition a sniff of goal in 90 minutes, run the entire length of the pitch to pretty much single handedly create a goal, yet still get stick from people. Not really sure what more anyone could have expected from him yesterday? Genuinely don't remember them doing anything at all down his side, while he ran through them like they weren't there

Is it just me being unfair or is he just quite boring?

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing in a defender, I just feel like he's like pretty good going forward, ok defensively, does exactly what you think he'll do.

He might go on to be really exceptional, and some of the things he did at Juventus and Inter really got the fans out of their seats and excited people, but so far what he's done has been a bit bland for me.

Is it just me being unfair or is he just quite boring?

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing in a defender, I just feel like he's like pretty good going forward, ok defensively, does exactly what you think he'll do.

He might go on to be really exceptional, and some of the things he did at Juventus and Inter really got the fans out of their seats and excited people, but so far what he's done has been a bit bland for me.

I think a large part of what made him exciting was having space to run into. So little of that for City. When I see clips of him elsewhere he had these lungbursting runs from deep. Just not getting that.

Reactions: cjn
I think a large part of what made him exciting was having space to run into. So little of that for City. When I see clips of him elsewhere he had these lungbursting runs from deep. Just not getting that.
Think Pep's tactics don't help attacking fullbacks at all. He seems more interested in them being extra CM's than overlapping and trying to actually join attacks. Perfect for Zinchenko, who wants to be doing that anyway, or Walker, who looks very happy passing it sideways, but for Cancelo, Angelino and Mendy it's cutting out the best aspects of their play. It's weird as at Barca he loved a rampaging rightback, but over here he seems to have become more interested in having extra midfielders at the expense of any width in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.