Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't quite remember which half it was but I was actually shocked when he did a Fernandinho style recovery run and interception that completely dealt with a United counter and he passed it quickly to start our own attack. Wish he would do more of that, he read that situation perfectly, so he does have the understanding but maybe not the legs to do it consistently.

To my mind Gundo is normally bypassed more easily than anyone else when a team is trying to counter. He also has games where he will give the ball away multiple times, so cheaply in midfield and put us on the back foot at the worst moment(Walker has a similar habit). Yet other games his passing stats are better than anyone else's. Besides his speed(and legs) and his tackling(I may be wrong but I'd suggest he makes less tackles than most in the team) there is a very good player there, it's just when he's not at his best it really shows.
It's mostly your mind. He gives the ball away the least of almost all our players. And has the most interceptions in the team.

His positiioning is generally fantastic, and his passing, while boring to the agitated fan, is mostly controlled and accurate.

Gundy had a pop in the dippers direction today,he was talking about the cups we are in and said we are not like others who drop out of cups to be fresh for the other competitions,we want to win them all,we want to give dave more trophies before he leaves

We are night and day from the dippers

It's mostly your mind. He gives the ball away the least of almost all our players. And has the most interceptions in the team.

His positiioning is generally fantastic, and his passing, while boring to the agitated fan, is mostly controlled and accurate.
It's not just about how many times they give the ball away, it's where and when. He has definitely had games where he's put us on the back foot, which has led to chances for the opposition. Like I said, I've noticed Walker has that habit and it's definitely not just in my mind. It's not every game but when they are not on it they can be liability and there is no denying that he does slow us down.

I'm pretty neutral on Gundogan, I don't scapegoat him. I give him credit where it's due, he seems a nice chap too but I'm not going to ignore where he does hurt the team.

Last edited:
Gundy had a pop in the dippers direction today,he was talking about the cups we are in and said we are not like others who drop out of cups to be fresh for the other competitions,we want to win them all,we want to give dave more trophies before he leaves

We are night and day from the dippers
Nice. I think whatever people's opinions of the guy are, he's definitely showcased in several interviews over the years how proud he is to be a blue.

Gundogan has been one of our most consistent performers all season, but suffers from being steady rather than flamboyant.
De Bruyne catches the eye with the awesome pass, but frequently wrong foots his own team mates (Rashford's recent goal originated from De Bruyne's casual arrogance with a sloppy pass)

Nice. I think whatever people's opinions of the guy are, he's definitely showcased in several interviews over the years how proud he is to be a blue.

He didn’t turn up for the Centurions parade in 2018 as he had gone to meet his mate Erdogan.

I have never seen someone who can slow the game as much as he can. Maybe Xavi comes close. Well he did it - whenever he wanted and the Team needed it. No joke. He is only useful - if theres no D.Silva or no Rodri on the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.