Criticism of Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t you think that is media driven line though, a stick to beat City and Pep with another excuse to ignore his brilliant record at City , ignore the centurion season and ignore the treble winning season.’ You’ve not won the Champions League with City so you can’t be a great manager ‘it’s bollocks. Holland never won the World Cup but that side from the 70’s is lauded as one off the best, total football they say. This is never said about us, it’s always to be a great side you have to win the League multiple times, goalpost moving all the time. Pep and City will never be afforded the praise we deserve. Not always does the best team win the Champions League or the World Cup.

Exactly. He is being sarcastic as he knows the media narrative. Of course the BBC run with it as one if their headlines. So bloody predictable. If Ole somehow gets United just in to the top four he will be a success and building for the future.

I can understand why some pundits, journalists, opposition fans question Pep. For a variety of reasons they dislike him and look for the slightest opportunity to denigrate his achievements.

But why would any sane City fan question him?

Even if we accept that Klopp is better than him despite being far behind Pep trophies wise, currently 8:28, Pep is still one of the greatest managers ever. His influence on the game far surpasses that of Ferguson, Mourinho, Klopp...and on top of that he is on course to end his career with most trophies ever. At his age Ferguson had won about 10 trophies vs nearly 30 for Pep. Pep's unique, get behind him.

I can understand why some pundits, journalists, opposition fans question Pep. For a variety of reasons they dislike him and look for the slightest opportunity to denigrate his achievements.

But why would any sane City fan question him?

Even if we accept that Klopp is better than him despite being far behind Pep trophies wise, currently 8:28, Pep is still one of the greatest managers ever. His influence on the game far surpasses that of Ferguson, Mourinho, Klopp...and on top of that he is on course to end his career with most trophies ever. At his age Ferguson had won about 10 trophies vs nearly 30 for Pep. Pep's unique, get behind him.
I would question individual decisions but not his ability as a coach.

There's no more than the odd City fan who question Pep as City coach. The majority of criticism comes from outside the club e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51344995

Don’t you think that is media driven line though, a stick to beat City and Pep with another excuse to ignore his brilliant record at City , ignore the centurion season and ignore the treble winning season.’ You’ve not won the Champions League with City so you can’t be a great manager ‘it’s bollocks. Holland never won the World Cup but that side from the 70’s is lauded as one off the best, total football they say. This is never said about us, it’s always to be a great side you have to win the League multiple times, goalpost moving all the time. Pep and City will never be afforded the praise we deserve. Not always does the best team win the Champions League or the World Cup.

I mean, what is he supposed to say, in response to that question? Champions league is harf to win, let's not bother, il be great if we don't win one? criticized for a cop-out. Wouldnt exactly inspire the players.

I would question individual decisions but not his ability as a coach.

There's no more than the odd City fan who question Pep as City coach. The majority of criticism comes from outside the club e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51344995

It's impossible to get all decisions right for obvious reasons like luck, injuries, refereeing decisions, the mental/ physical state of the players which is not always transparent, the group dynamic, etc etc. We don't have a fraction of the information he uses to take decisions and form our own opinions on the basis of insufficient information and crude generalizations.

I can’t understand the criticism for pep sometimes. He’s taken City onto another planet the last couple of seasons plus there’s still a very good chance of silver wear again this season. Sometimes fans get spoilt, but like kids who get everything and want more and more then throw dummies out when they don’t. An amazing manager.

I can’t understand the criticism for pep sometimes. He’s taken City onto another planet the last couple of seasons plus there’s still a very good chance of silver wear again this season. Sometimes fans get spoilt, but like kids who get everything and want more and more then throw dummies out when they don’t. An amazing manager.

I could prove incorrect on this but I do not think anyone thinks Pep is not an outstanding manager, and the vast majority are more than grateful he is here but this is a forum and people should be able to express views whether they are gushing in praise or critical of some of his methods.

For me Pep is the greatest manager in our history and probably the most influential manager of all time on the english game. However I still cannot fathom why Angelino started at Anfield as left back, yet 7 weeks later he has been loaned out, instead of playing our 60 million pound fullback who started against United or why KDB was rested v Norwich etc.

I would not consider myself spoilt, in fact I will be eternally grateful to the bloke for the rest of my life for giving me memories I will cherish to the grave.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you get your facts from..

A few top managers who never played professionally;
Avram grant, Gerald houllier, Roy hodgson, sacchi . And I'm sure there's a few more.

Sacchi was recently rated the third best manager of all time, ahead of Pep, who will willing admit to have taken inspiration from how Sacchi's AC Milan played. However Sacchi and those others are very much the exception rather than the rule. The vast majority of managers are ex-players, and with good reason. That said, you forgot today's opposing manager, or did you!

Never underestimate how much football fans know about the game.

Year after year fans of clubs will be seeing what’s going on in front of their eyes and be calling what the manager is doing wrong. And they are right. The manager is too close to what’s going on, too stubborn to change it or not good enough at his job and they get sacked. The fans complaints were right all along.

Loads and loads of football coaches are inept. They only get their jobs because they were once ex-players and thousands of fans know more about the game and its tactics than loads of these coaches do.

The only reason Charlie from Chorlton isn’t a coach is because he isn’t an ex-pro. But judging what the ex-pros who are pundits say every week and seeing all the things hundreds of coaches get wrong every year, he knows just as much [and more] about football than you’re giving him credit for.
Exactly, plus when they assume only the other ex player "will know" when talking anything football, dismissing the presenter and listening audience

Never underestimate how much football fans know about the game.

Year after year fans of clubs will be seeing what’s going on in front of their eyes and be calling what the manager is doing wrong. And they are right. The manager is too close to what’s going on, too stubborn to change it or not good enough at his job and they get sacked. The fans complaints were right all along.

Loads and loads of football coaches are inept. They only get their jobs because they were once ex-players and thousands of fans know more about the game and its tactics than loads of these coaches do.

The only reason Charlie from Chorlton isn’t a coach is because he isn’t an ex-pro. But judging what the ex-pros who are pundits say every week and seeing all the things hundreds of coaches get wrong every year, he knows just as much [and more] about football than you’re giving him credit for.
The average football fan knows the square root of fuck all about managing or coaching a football team.

Look at the saga of Ebbsfleet United which was run for a spell by fans vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.