Cruises

MSC are not an all inclusive cruise operator.

They do currently have an offer where booking a certain cabin grade gives you a premium drinks package for free, but alcoholic drinks aren't included as standard.

I'm going on one of their ships (Fantasia) at the end of March for a 4 night jolly with some mates. Got it dirt cheap and has some interesting stops in Italy.
Seen people complain that MSC is more geared up for other European nationals due to it's Med roots, but tbh that's absolutely fine by me....couldn't think of anything worse than being surrounded by utter gammon types on a P&O boat (anyone who saw the flag waving video the other month will understand)
MSC Do all inclusive .on many of there deals

On my 22nd cruise in February on the P&O ship Azura sailing the Caribbean.

Recommendations
  • Places - Caribbean for winter weather and a laid back atmosphere, Baltic for all the fascinating countries, Norwegian Fjords for the sheer beauty.
  • Companies - (1) Cunard, classy and traditional, (2) Celebrity, beautiful ships, (3) P&O, as English as you can get, (4) Royal Caribbean, fun all the way, (5) NCL, numerous dining options and no formality, (6) Princess, US version of P&O, (7) Voyages to Antiquity, Pricey but all inclusive including choice of tours in each port, (8) Fred Olsen, don't bother.
  • Food - All cruise lines have a wide range of eating options, if you can't find something you like then you are too fussy.
  • Tours - Can be expensive but also can be brilliant, book with the cruise line and the ship will never sail without you.
  • Entertainment - Plentiful and very mixed in quality, even the rubbish ones are trying their best so just sit back with your favourite tipple and have a laugh.
  • Staff - Have never had a complaint about any, treat them with respect they are not getting paid a King's ransom after all.
  • Drinks - By far and away the best priced are on P&O charged in pounds sterling, other cruise companies charge in US dollars and add 15% to the bill which is scandalous.
  • Drinks Packages - Extortionate try to find a cruise that throws them in as part of the deal.
  • Sea Sickness - Only happened to me twice on my first cruise through the Bay of Biscay and on Fred Olsen in the Canaries that ship (Braemar) was very unstable.

I love the fact that you go to bed at night and wake up in a new place (country) the next morning, you take your hotel with you and are not living out of a suitcase like used to happen when my wife and I did numerous tours in the USA.

One more recommendation if you just want to have two weeks doing sod all and being looked after. The double Transatlantic crossing on QM2 is absolutely brilliant and not overly expensive. We went last August and had a great time. First week we were entertained by the English National Ballet who were superb, also had a passenger airlifted off by the Canadian Coastguards and sailing into New York in the early morning past Lady Liberty is a magical experience. Second week there was a film crew on board filming a movie called "Let Them All Talk" and we got to see Meryl Streep, Gemma Chan, Candice Bergen, Diane West and Lucas Hedges - you could also volunteer to be an extra if you were that way inclined. The ship is the only true Ocean Liner and you hardly know you are moving she is so stable, there is a Planetarium on board and two theatres that are used for shows and "Insight Lectures" so you are never bored.

I never for a moment thought I would enjoy a cruise but after my very first one I was hooked.

Great post, I've always wanted to do a transatlantic, but been put off by the formality of Cunard (done about 8 or 9 to date all on P&O). I may look again at the Queen Mary to see if they have relaxed the tie at dinner :)

Looking for this year at the moment and it seems prices have gone through the roof since our last in 2017

Great post, I've always wanted to do a transatlantic, but been put off by the formality of Cunard (done about 8 or 9 to date all on P&O). I may look again at the Queen Mary to see if they have relaxed the tie at dinner :)

Looking for this year at the moment and it seems prices have gone through the roof since our last in 2017
You need a jacket in the restaurant but not a tie and they also have formal nights when you wear all the gear if you have it (the Americans do not bother as much as us Brits), you can go to the buffet if you do not want to wear the jacket. We do a sheltered balcony cabin which is lower down the ship so even less movement and plenty of natural light for the cabin. Plenty of places to sit around the ship and the afternoon teas in the Queens room are a real treat. They put on shows, lectures, films, quizes, dance lessons etc so you will never get bored. The food is very good and you can have as much or as little as you want. There are two sittings in the main dining room we always do early on a table for two, not because we are standoffish but just so we can arrive and leave at our leisure, usually end up chatting to the next table anyway. I can highly recommend it a very relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings.

On my 22nd cruise in February on the P&O ship Azura sailing the Caribbean.

Recommendations
  • Places - Caribbean for winter weather and a laid back atmosphere, Baltic for all the fascinating countries, Norwegian Fjords for the sheer beauty.
  • Companies - (1) Cunard, classy and traditional, (2) Celebrity, beautiful ships, (3) P&O, as English as you can get, (4) Royal Caribbean, fun all the way, (5) NCL, numerous dining options and no formality, (6) Princess, US version of P&O, (7) Voyages to Antiquity, Pricey but all inclusive including choice of tours in each port, (8) Fred Olsen, don't bother.
  • Food - All cruise lines have a wide range of eating options, if you can't find something you like then you are too fussy.
  • Tours - Can be expensive but also can be brilliant, book with the cruise line and the ship will never sail without you.
  • Entertainment - Plentiful and very mixed in quality, even the rubbish ones are trying their best so just sit back with your favourite tipple and have a laugh.
  • Staff - Have never had a complaint about any, treat them with respect they are not getting paid a King's ransom after all.
  • Drinks - By far and away the best priced are on P&O charged in pounds sterling, other cruise companies charge in US dollars and add 15% to the bill which is scandalous.
  • Drinks Packages - Extortionate try to find a cruise that throws them in as part of the deal.
  • Sea Sickness - Only happened to me twice on my first cruise through the Bay of Biscay and on Fred Olsen in the Canaries that ship (Braemar) was very unstable.

I love the fact that you go to bed at night and wake up in a new place (country) the next morning, you take your hotel with you and are not living out of a suitcase like used to happen when my wife and I did numerous tours in the USA.

One more recommendation if you just want to have two weeks doing sod all and being looked after. The double Transatlantic crossing on QM2 is absolutely brilliant and not overly expensive. We went last August and had a great time. First week we were entertained by the English National Ballet who were superb, also had a passenger airlifted off by the Canadian Coastguards and sailing into New York in the early morning past Lady Liberty is a magical experience. Second week there was a film crew on board filming a movie called "Let Them All Talk" and we got to see Meryl Streep, Gemma Chan, Candice Bergen, Diane West and Lucas Hedges - you could also volunteer to be an extra if you were that way inclined. The ship is the only true Ocean Liner and you hardly know you are moving she is so stable, there is a Planetarium on board and two theatres that are used for shows and "Insight Lectures" so you are never bored.

I never for a moment thought I would enjoy a cruise but after my very first one I was hooked.

Very good post but would have appreciated more details on the number of life boats each liner carries. Some people say I’m self absorbed but I think I’d be willing to share a life boat with another person assuming they could entertain me whilst waiting to be rescued ( I get easily bored unfortunately).

You need a jacket in the restaurant but not a tie and they also have formal nights when you wear all the gear if you have it (the Americans do not bother as much as us Brits), you can go to the buffet if you do not want to wear the jacket. We do a sheltered balcony cabin which is lower down the ship so even less movement and plenty of natural light for the cabin. Plenty of places to sit around the ship and the afternoon teas in the Queens room are a real treat. They put on shows, lectures, films, quizes, dance lessons etc so you will never get bored. The food is very good and you can have as much or as little as you want. There are two sittings in the main dining room we always do early on a table for two, not because we are standoffish but just so we can arrive and leave at our leisure, usually end up chatting to the next table anyway. I can highly recommend it a very relaxing holiday in beautiful surroundings.

sounds very much like P&O other than the jacket on non-formal nights, I have the fancy dress, but it's 3 years since I needed it so I suspect it's a tight fit at best :)

I liked the food and the being in a different place every day, but didn't enjoy any other aspects of the cruise versus other holidays and it's not likely I'd ever go on another one

Very good post but would have appreciated more details on the number of life boats each liner carries. Some people say I’m self absorbed but I think I’d be willing to share a life boat with another person assuming they could entertain me whilst waiting to be rescued ( I get easily bored unfortunately).

Take your own life jacket. Heaven forbid someone of the lower classes may have used the company issued one previously...;)

Last edited:
MSC Do all inclusive .on many of there deals

Yes, they have occasional deals where a drinks package will be thrown in for free on certain cabin grades. This is a current offer at the moment as I mentioned previously.

But they are not an all inclusive cruise line. Under normal circumstances drinks packages are extra, and range from the lead in 'easy' package through to the 'premium plus' package.

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/on-board/dining-drinks/drinks-packages

Going on a cruise is my idea of hell

I go on holiday to get away from people, not to be surrounded by them and unable to get away from them.

Ditto. Also, just the thought of something being arranged for my 'entertainment' immediately pisses me off :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.