Who Said City Couldn't Play song - recording

Mancunian (or Manc) is the accent and dialect spoken in the majority of Manchester, North West England, and some of its environs. It is also given to the name of the people who live in the city of Manchester.

Throughout the 19th century and for most of the 20th century, speech in Manchester was considered part of the Lancashire dialect. Many of the dialect poets of the 19th century came from Manchester and the surrounding area.[1] In the early 20th century, the Manchester Ballads featured Lancashire dialect extensively.[2] As many of the traditional dialect features have died out in Manchester, it has been seen by some in recent years as a separate dialect.

It is claimed that the Manc dialect of British English has subconsciously changed the way people from the other English-speaking UK regions talk through the British popular culture of television shows such as Coronation Street. Also, later rock bands such as Oasis, Joy Division, Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses had distinct Manchester accents.[3]

I think when cotton was king, most people in Manchester would of spoken with a Lancashire accent, I think the Manc accent used today is a more modern development.
There’s no such thing as a Mancunian accent. The accent we have is a Salford accent that existed before Manchester was a significant place to even have an accent associated with it.

There’s no such thing as a Mancunian accent. The accent we have is a Salford accent that existed before Manchester was a significant place to even have an accent associated with it.

So you are saying that people in Salford spoke with the same accent as the modern day manc accent before the industrial revolution.

On social media several fans, including @City_On_Tour & @FatToasty,
have been asking about the old City song 'Who Said City Couldn't Play' with a view to getting it to Wembley this year, so here's a low quality recording I tracked down years ago of fans singing it in 1934:

(if anyone can insert the media clip I posted on twitter in here for me then please do).

It's not the full song but should give fans an idea of what it was like. I won't be posting much on BM or social media at the moment as it's a difficult time for me with serious family hospital visits etc. Apologies. But if you're interested in the song, which was being sung by City fans around 90 years ago, then please spread the song.

The commentator at the 1934 homecoming mentions the cup returning to Manchester after 30 years.
Funny because United had won the cup in 1909.
Was that a mistake or were United considered a Salford team, even in the 1930s?

At the risk of sounding stupid, am I correct in saying the words are:

'Who said, that City couldn't play? That City couldn't play? That City couldn't play (Hey)?
Who said, that City couldn't play? City couldn't play football? '

The first bit seems as though they sing:

'Who said, that City couldn't play, City couldn't play football.
Who said, that City couldn't play, City couldn't play football.'

But seems longer/different in the second clip?
then it goes

"Bell passed to Lee, Lee passed it back, bell did a flying kick, and knocked Stepney flat."
Who said, that City couldn't play, City couldn't play football.

my mam sang this song to us when we were growing up in the 50s 60s with a manchester collyhurst accent a true city song

The commentator at the 1934 homecoming mentions the cup returning to Manchester after 30 years.
Funny because United had won the cup in 1909.
Was that a mistake or were United considered a Salford team, even in the 1930s?

I think he knew exactly what he was saying (though MUFC were based in the city of Manchester when they won that FAC in 1909).

then it goes

"Bell passed to Lee, Lee passed it back, bell did a flying kick, and knocked Stepney flat."
Who said, that City couldn't play, City couldn't play football.
After that as I remember as a kid we used to sing

“Singing where was the goalie , the balls in the net
There he is with his knickers round his neck”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.