New York advice

malkie

I'm off to New York in June, with the breadknife, 65th Birthday present to myself.
Last time I was there was 1974 & again 1978.
Obviously things have changed.
I have a fair idea of what we would like to see from a tourist point of view.
The question is, book all the excursions before we go, or do our own thing when we get there?
I have read a number of horror stories regarding pre-booking a block of excursions etc.

Any advice from recent travellers would be appreciated.

I went last year and we just did our own thing...we found we saw so much more doing it that way. It ain’t a cheap place though

I was there in March last year.
Everything was Horrendously expensive.
you may save a % getting one of the tourist card things.

Went a couple of years ago,really enjoyed it. If you intend going up inside the Statue of Liberty you need to book tickets well in advance,a few weeks in fact. The mistake we made was not doing this and couldn’t go up.

I’m off in July, taking the Mrs to see Bon jovi and Brian Adams at Maddison square gardens so will keep an eye on this thread as never been before!

Went a couple of years ago,really enjoyed it. If you intend going up inside the Statue of Liberty you need to book tickets well in advance,a few weeks in fact. The mistake we made was not doing this and couldn’t go up.

Don't bother going up the statue - it's a slog getting up there and it's fucking boiling. Also the views aren't great and you're only allowed inside the crown for a minute or two.
Get the Staten Island ferry for the best views of the statue, lateish, then turn around and come back (it's free) as night falls and Manhattan starts to light up

I was there in March last year.
Everything was Horrendously expensive.
you may save a % getting one of the tourist card things.
Went to the Cirque du Soleil Christmas show at Madison Square Garden in December. Wife and I each ordered a double vodka & soda at the show.

The bartender made them and gave them to me and told me it would be 65 USD!!! I started laughing and he told me no, seriously it's $65, please.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.