Liverpool thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine fielding an illegible player and rather than being booted out, as is stated, you go through anyway, then failing to win and actually refusing to play senior players or having your first team coach attend and being applauded for it.

they make me sick.

A club previous to Liverpool fielded an ineligible player, and they were not thrown out, so obviously not cut and dried as you suggest.

There is some strong Liverpool hatred on this forum, some of it just nonsense really. I assume the above comment refers to the Carabao Cup, and Liverpool obviously made the decision to accept the scheduling of the QF v Villa to the day before the World Club Cup SF in Qatar. They probably felt that although playing a reserve team in that game would mean a higher chance they would be knocked out, they didn't want the game to be rearranged later in the month or even in January when it would possibly have been more of a distraction. It actually benefited Villa, as there schedule was not made more difficult later in the month when space in the calendar was even more limited. You can argue they could have played some of the first team in the CC, then flown them over to Qatar for the final, but they obviously determined that the World Club Cup was the priority. That makes sense to me, winning the CL does not happen that often, so participating in the World Club Cup is also a rarity. Not everyone will agree, but I would want City to go out and win the World Club Cup if we were to qualify for it.

As for the FA Cup, Liverpool can be criticised for not fielding a stronger team in the original tie v Shrewsbury, but they certainly were not the first team to play a weakened team in the competition. All the PL clubs were told they would get a 2 week break, so scheduling FA cup replays during that break is a farce. Newcastle played their first team last night and therefore get a shorter break. The same will probably be true of Spurs and Southampton tonight. But isn't it about time clubs started making a stand.... other countries can have a mid season break with no problems, and whilst they may have one less domestic cup competition, or an 18 team league, they get a proper break. It is about time the FA and PL got together and sorted the schedule out properly. They are the victims of their own greed, which of course clubs like Liverpool are guilty of as well, so the only answer will probably be to change our domestic cups to accommodate a break. The attempt this season with a staggered break and possible FA Cup replays is just an afterthought at best.

Liverpool should be held to account for other things, such as the hacking scandal, but I don't really see the issue with Klopp choosing to make a point over the FA Cup, things may change that would benefit our club if more teams did a similar thing. I suppose the main problem people will have over this opinion, is that if City were to do the same thing, you would expect a lot more criticism of the club as a whole. And yes, Liverpool will probably get a stomach churning amount of praise when they win the league this season, more praise than we got last year for doing a domestic clean sweep. Maybe when that happens, we can try our best to point to the fact that we did not allow ourselves to consider only going for the league and CL, and we went all out to win all domestic competitions, which should be deserving of a much more respected journalistic response.

With Klopp being that type of person and Liverpool being that type of club, both will continue to lap it up without a second thought. If Pep did the same, he would not only be hung by his own clubs' supporter base, the whole of English football as well.

Last edited:
Well let me tell you how I see it unfolding over the couple of years...

The Dortmund story shows us that basically Klopp will pick the best 13 or 14 players week in week out until they break. He's gone all in for the PL this year knowing that there will be a tail off soon, its 3 years now that this group has coalesced after 2 years of mid table shite. This PL title was now or never and he knows it. Add in the favourable conditions provided by the FA/PL through VAR and it has to be now.

I'll be very surprised if you defend the title next year and that will be the beginning of the end for this group and Klopp.

Klopp knows this and will be expecting move on and make way for Stevie Me to come in and do the rebuild.

For all the shiny teeth and "man of the people" bullshit he is a canny politician and will know that this can't be sustained.

I think you have this one wrong. Say what you want about Klopp but he's a smart man and a German. If they are anything it's practical and they learn from mistakes all the time. I have noticed from the Spurs games the difference in how they play, 3 years ago they were gassed after 70 minutes, they literally couldn't run, they would try win the game in the first 15 minutes, now they are more much pragmatic in their approach. Take the champions league final or even their win at our place a few weeks back, they know they will score at some stage and once they go 1 up they play safe, they will take a goal if it comes but not at the risk of giving up an equaliser. It's why they rarely hammer teams, it's a practical approach that allows them conserve energy. Its why the first team didn't play last night, he's thinking more FA Cup games hinders their opportunity to rest and prepare for Champions League games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.