New York advice

I was there first week in December and was paying average of $9 with a$1 tip per drink .. Most expensive place I’ve ever been . Good though

Wish I could get my head around this tip business sky tot. He poured you a nice drink, handed it to you and so we are compelled to say excellent service matey and here have 10% more. All he did was pour it and hand it to you, isn't that his job ? A contentious issue for sure. Same as with restaurants and the waiter brings you your meal ten metres from the kitchen to your table and expects a tip for doing so. Might as well go to the kitchen and collect it yourself and safe the monkey. They cry like absolute dogs if you don't give them anything and yet I was under the impression the whole idea of a gratuity was for par excellent service for someone who had gone the extra mile and just not something to be expected. I once paid tips in advance on a cruise as the travel agent coerced me as this qualified me to pick my table and sitting times. Imagine my consternation when at the end of our jollies the scallywags popped a tip envelope under my room door. When I inquired as to it's purpose I was told that it was an envelope to tip over and above the tip which I had already furnished 3 months earlier for receiving better than excellent service and he never batted an eyelid in saying so. More neck than a giraffe mate !

Wish I could get my head around this tip business sky tot. He poured you a nice drink, handed it to you and so we are compelled to say excellent service matey and here have 10% more. All he did was pour it and hand it to you, isn't that his job ? A contentious issue for sure. Same as with restaurants and the waiter brings you your meal ten metres from the kitchen to your table and expects a tip for doing so. Might as well go to the kitchen and collect it yourself and safe the monkey. They cry like absolute dogs if you don't give them anything and yet I was under the impression the whole idea of a gratuity was for par excellent service for someone who had gone the extra mile and just not something to be expected. I once paid tips in advance on a cruise as the travel agent coerced me as this qualified me to pick my table and sitting times. Imagine my consternation when at the end of our jollies the scallywags popped a tip envelope under my room door. When I inquired as to it's purpose I was told that it was an envelope to tip over and above the tip which I had already furnished 3 months earlier for receiving better than excellent service and he never batted an eyelid in saying so. More neck than a giraffe mate !
If i am in a bar and staying a while then i open a tab. That saves the hassle of tipping each time i want something else. Then at the end just slap a few $$ on top of the bill. 20%? - fuck that.

A few times i have been told by the server that she / he is finishing their shift and could I settle the bill and re-open a new one with the new server. Paid a tip to the first one but gave fuck all 2nd time

If i am in a bar and staying a while then i open a tab. That saves the hassle of tipping each time i want something else. Then at the end just slap a few $$ on top of the bill. 20%? - fuck that.

A few times i have been told by the server that she / he is finishing their shift and could I settle the bill and re-open a new one with the new server. Paid a tip to the first one but gave fuck all 2nd time

I too wouldn't begrudge a few dollars more on a bar tab for a full afternoon session if the server was amiable and chirpy. It's just this open ended obsession that you have to tip because this is how it is, but a gratuity should be reserved for someone going above and beyond the call of duty and only if you want to. They say on cruise ships that you have to tip good because these lads are on pennies and work really hard but I work really really hard too and a good work ethos never hurt no one. It matters little whether you work for yourself or a guvnor, always give it your best shot as it's a reflection on whom we are so perform to the best of your ability at all times. And more important is that my side of the deal was to pay for the goods/holiday/cruise and therefore the cruise line have a duty of care to pay their staff from their gross profit margins. As long as we adopt this blase attitude then the pubs/bars/restaurants/holiday companies and cruise lines will continue to maximise profits at our expense. Pay your staff a living wage packet you scurrilous dogs and then you can all sleep well at night knowing that your net margins have been earned with due consideration for your workforce. Your workforce are the driving force behind your business models so a little respect to the people that make you rich goes a long long way. It's nice to be nice but it shouldn't be expected.

I too wouldn't begrudge a few dollars more on a bar tab for a full afternoon session if the server was amiable and chirpy. It's just this open ended obsession that you have to tip because this is how it is, but a gratuity should be reserved for someone going above and beyond the call of duty and only if you want to. They say on cruise ships that you have to tip good because these lads are on pennies and work really hard but I work really really hard too and a good work ethos never hurt no one. It matters little whether you work for yourself or a guvnor, always give it your best shot as it's a reflection on whom we are so perform to the best of your ability at all times. And more important is that my side of the deal was to pay for the goods/holiday/cruise and therefore the cruise line have a duty of care to pay their staff from their gross profit margins. As long as we adopt this blase attitude then the pubs/bars/restaurants/holiday companies and cruise lines will continue to maximise profits at our expense. Pay your staff a living wage packet you scurrilous dogs and then you can all sleep well at night knowing that your net margins have been earned with due consideration for your workforce. Your workforce are the driving force behind your business models so a little respect to the people that make you rich goes a long long way. It's nice to be nice but it shouldn't be expected.
I am definitely in Mr Pinks camp here.

I don’t get it either . I’m a regular pub goer and knew I would be frequenting a bar so I did my homework on NY trip advisor forum . There is countless posts from Brits asking what the tipping etiquette is in a bar . Everyone posted the said the same , dollar a drink . But what if it’s € 7.50 ? You round up and still give a dollar !!!!. Shit system, just pay a fair wage

I don’t get it either . I’m a regular pub goer and knew I would be frequenting a bar so I did my homework on NY trip advisor forum . There is countless posts from Brits asking what the tipping etiquette is in a bar . Everyone posted the said the same , dollar a drink . But what if it’s € 7.50 ? You round up and still give a dollar !!!!. Shit system, just pay a fair wage

No mate, if it's $7.50,give them $8.00.

I would rather they charged an extra dollar and scrapped the tip!

One thing I have noted though is if i have been in a bar for a while and order say tge 4th
One thing i have noted when drinking more than 3 beers is occasionally i ask for another and am told when the drink is served that "It's on me" by the bar staff.
This always guarantees i tip a lot more than I would normally having had a free drink - but are the staff stealing for tips?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.