Prog rock

I'm enjoying the book, first couple of chapters give an interesting history and context of the growth of "prog rock" out of psychedlia and an examination of what it actually is, inclduing the "crossover" with classical. He then gets into diferent bands, starting off with KIng Crimson and I don't think many wlould dispute that their debut was the first prog rock album. There's some interesting snippets from interviews with various band members and its offered a great insight for me (some of you may be more familiar with the story). It's led me to listen or re listen to some of the King Crimson stuff I hadn't heard before.

I've also read chapter on the first part of PInk Floyd's careeer (up to and including Dark Side of the Moon). Although I'm much more familiar with their story there are still new insights from interviews with those who were there at the time.

I thought I might lose interest when getting into discssions about bands I don't really follow, this might still happen but curently reading about ELP and rather than lose interest it has made me want to give them a listen.

I suspect that the authors very technical descriptions of some of the music might get repetetive but up to now I'd have to say I'm very glad I bought this book, well worth a read.

Cheers you’re selling it well. Does the book take us up to modern day and any new prog bands emerging?

Nick Hornsby described Arsenal as the ELP of football - technically brilliant but boring to watch. That’s a bit harsh but some of their stuff is hard work but also brilliantly played.

Yeah, I’d have to add Asia to that first category.
Re your point about Talk Talk etc, I’ll bet those bands would have taken it as an insult back in the day if an interviewer had called them prog rock!

yes I’ve heard Tears for Fears and XTC both labelled as Prog rock too!

Cheers you’re selling it well. Does the book take us up to modern day and any new prog bands emerging?

Nick Hornsby described Arsenal as the ELP of football - technically brilliant but boring to watch. That’s a bit harsh but some of their stuff is hard work but also brilliantly played.

yes I’ve heard Tears for Fears and XTC both labelled as Prog rock too!

The book is limited to U.K. bands in the main and the 70s, mainly the first half of the decade. If it covered beyond that would probably be bigger than the bible.

I’m keeping my old copy of the rough guide to rock with me as I read for cross referencing and alternative views. Wish I still had my NME encyclopaedia of rock as well

The book is limited to U.K. bands in the main and the 70s, mainly the first half of the decade. If it covered beyond that would probably be bigger than the bible.

I’m keeping my old copy of the rough guide to rock with me as I read for cross referencing and alternative views. Wish I still had my NME encyclopaedia of rock as well

‘NME’ and ‘rock’?
Surely some mistake.

The 90s saw prog hit back..
Yes - Talk
All porcupine Tree
Ozrics
Spocks Beard
Flower Kings
Marillion (Hogarth era)
King Crimson Thrak
Transatlantic
Dream Theatre
Threshold
Arena
Vulgar Unicorn
Ayreon
Mostly Autum
Pink Floyd
and a host of emerging bands on Inside Out and Cyclops labels...

Frost are a top band. Trouble is John Mitchell is involved with about six bands, although I think a new album is on the way.
You're right he is a busy guy but there is a new piece currently being written. He is also writing currently with John Beck (It Bites) IMO possibly his best collaboration, although problematical due to JB's circumstance. whatever he (JM) is a massively talented musician - anyone who can reproduce Francis Dunnery's playing in IB's heyday so well has to be a genius.

You're right he is a busy guy but there is a new piece currently being written. He is also writing currently with John Beck (It Bites) IMO possibly his best collaboration, although problematical due to JB's circumstance. whatever he (JM) is a massively talented musician - anyone who can reproduce Francis Dunnery's playing in IB's heyday so well has to be a genius.
I love anything he does, always on the look out

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.