Madrid away

If anyone wants to get away from whatever they charge in the Sol/Plaza Mayor areas/Pickpockets/Coked up police I'd recommend the Malasaña area for beers and food and a good afternoons drinking. Far better than the tourist traps imho.
1. Map here shows it's an easy and straight walk up from Sol on mostly pedestrian streets.
2. Once in the Malasaña area Ive put in my local for the Irish pub (Triskel Tavern) on San Vicente Ferrer Street, good range of beers at 3.50 euros and Spanish/English scran, nearest to a proper pub I've ever found abroad.
3. Big recommendation for good seafood and steaks and at amazing prices is Ribeira do Miño on Calle Santa Brigida on the walk up. You won't be disappointed believe me.
http://www.marisqueriaribeiradomino.com/en/aug-1274-nuestras-instalaciones

4.Another 5 minutes you are in the Plaza dos de Mayo with terrace bars, and loads of food places to chill for the afternoon.
5. From there get to the match five minute further on to the direct metro line at Alonso Martinez station.
The whole journey in one would take 30 minutes walking so no wasting time.

Genuinely recommend for a different view of the city away from the police and tourist bollocks.
Especially recommend for anyone around at the weekend. Its a lively part of town with plenty on offer.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sol,+Madrid/Calle+de+la+Montera,+28013+Madrid/40.4254501,-3.7009451/40.4255175,-3.7017782/Plaza+del+Dos+de+Mayo,+28004+Madrid/Alonso+Martínez,+Plaza+de+Sta.+Barbara,+Madrid/@40.4227347,-3.7074925,15.5z/data=!4m28!4m27!1m5!1m1!1s0xd42287e1463b6cf:0x14a34120b9332d61!2m2!1d-3.7041687!2d40.4166635!1m5!1m1!1s0xd4228874e3ca6dd:0xd113adad95c07fa!2m2!1d-3.7021051!2d40.418945!1m0!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0xd422862150e82b3:0x78bf2642005218b1!2m2!1d-3.7040303!2d40.426999!1m5!1m1!1s0xd42288e90014ce9:0xe38b7e520d322e57!2m2!1d-3.6959238!2d40.4277841!3e2

As always there's a risk of pickpockets so watch your stuff but there's no comparison with the rest of the city for me.
Any queries just ask. (Not tickets though sadly though I would keep checking the RM site as they have season ticket return system like we do so tickets may get added).
Enjoy Blues

Thanks for the post as the last place I want to be is Plaza Mayor, one quick question, what are the museums like round there ?

:-)

Any queries just ask. (Not tickets though sadly though I would keep checking the RM site as they have season ticket return system like we do so tickets may get added).
Enjoy Blues

Have tickets actually sold out then? I thought they never sell our?

Thanks for the post as the last place I want to be is Plaza Mayor, one quick question, what are the museums like round there ?

Cheers. NP
There aren't a great deal of museums around that area. But If you're interested, I'd recommend heading down to the Fine Art institute just off the way down Gran Via. Get up on the roof terrace or hobnob in the bar. Spectacular. https://www.circulobellasartes.com/azotea/

The 3 big must see museums are all down on the Paseo Prado which is kind of the other way. This is the route to see all of them, plus the above. As you can see the centre of Madrid isn't big. About 1/2 an hour each way from Sol takes you to the edge.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mus...05c093f5dcd!2m2!1d-3.7041056!2d40.4267066!3e2

On the way, you see Plaza Neptune which is where Atleti celebrate their triumphs and and then Plaza Cibeles where RM fans take over when they win. It's got some of the must see views in Madrid.

For curries, cheep beer and Edge. (not my responsibility)

Head down to the Lavapíes area. Again 10 minutes from Sol. Wouldn't fuck about in this area, especially at night, but you'll get what you need. https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...f8234270a46d263!8m2!3d40.4084512!4d-3.7007072

Transport
I'd fuck the Metro off. You have to get a card now 5 euros then charge it with 1 or 10 trips. If you do that get one per five people and charge the 10. Then pass the card each time for each person. It'll be a mare though at the station if loads of blues are trying to work out this system plus the tourists.
I'd use the Taxis. Especially if there are more than 3. It's just not worth the difference in price. And if there are more things Madrid has than bars, it's taxis.

Stadium
As for drinking up at the stadium. I'd go east and north of it. The road at the at the South of the ground is where their Ultras meet in the bars. I' don't think the police let anyone through anyway, but you never know.

Cheers. NP
There aren't a great deal of museums around that area. But If you're interested, I'd recommend heading down to the Fine Art institute just off the way down Gran Via. Get up on the roof terrace or hobnob in the bar. Spectacular. https://www.circulobellasartes.com/azotea/

The 3 big must see museums are all down on the Paseo Prado which is kind of the other way. This is the route to see all of them, plus the above. As you can see the centre of Madrid isn't big. About 1/2 an hour each way from Sol takes you to the edge.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mus...05c093f5dcd!2m2!1d-3.7041056!2d40.4267066!3e2

On the way, you see Plaza Neptune which is where Atleti celebrate their triumphs and and then Plaza Cibeles where RM fans take over when they win. It's got some of the must see views in Madrid.

For curries, cheep beer and Edge. (not my responsibility)

Head down to the Lavapíes area. Again 10 minutes from Sol. Wouldn't fuck about in this area, especially at night, but you'll get what you need. https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...f8234270a46d263!8m2!3d40.4084512!4d-3.7007072

Transport
I'd fuck the Metro off. You have to get a card now 5 euros then charge it with 1 or 10 trips. If you do that get one per five people and charge the 10. Then pass the card each time for each person. It'll be a mare though at the station if loads of blues are trying to work out this system plus the tourists.
I'd use the Taxis. Especially if there are more than 3. It's just not worth the difference in price. And if there are more things Madrid has than bars, it's taxis.

Stadium
As for drinking up at the stadium. I'd go east and north of it. The road at the at the South of the ground is where their Ultras meet in the bars. I' don't think the police let anyone through anyway, but you never know.

@nijinsky my sincere apologies mate for putting you to that trouble. I have always banged in stupid posts about museums on Euro aways, (and even London for Wembley.) I even found one (online) in Zagreb, the Museum of Broken Relationships !!! I thought by now that most knew I was just pissing about and those that didn't never did any research or were as helpful as you have been. For that reason I just carried on.
Again many thanks and sorry I messed you about. Mind you I did put a smiley and mentioned that the drinking area you had suggested looked far better than Plaza Mayor so …………. :-)

Not going to this one i’m off to the next Barnsley home game instead to get my head smashed in by cops its a lot cheaper !

They have a toaster museum which shows the earliest toasters that excepted biscuits, crackers, and nuts as well as bread. Well worth a look if you bring your own bread and butter you can actually make some “but the bread has to be brown and the butter anchor due to trading standards

@nijinsky my sincere apologies mate for putting you to that trouble. I have always banged in stupid posts about museums on Euro aways, (and even London for Wembley.) I even found one (online) in Zagreb, the Museum of Broken Relationships !!! I thought by now that most knew I was just pissing about and those that didn't never did any research or were as helpful as you have been. For that reason I just carried on.
Again many thanks and sorry I messed you about. Mind you I did put a smiley and mentioned that the drinking area you had suggested looked far better than Plaza Mayor so …………. :-)

Can’t believe you gave it away now what

Can’t believe you gave it away now what

Well the poor buger went and did research into where I could go, most people just tell me (where to go)!!!!!

Don't worry most of the saps on here will forget anyway and I will just start again !!

P.S. That Toaster museum sounds really good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.