Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Anyone is allowed to have rail seating as it stands. Wolves fitted an entire end with it last summer.

You’re just not officially allowed it in the name of an official standing area.

The application is made on the basis of ‘well people are persistently standing in these areas and it’s hard to stop. It will probably be safer if we put these rails in place to avoid any accidents’.

We might wait until there is an official law change and we re-develop the North Stand so we can advertise it as the big City end - The Kippax Wall.

If they add it to South Stand level 1 then it probably means the North Stand expansion is a long time away.

The club won't sanction a North Stand expansion until the government clears up what's happening with Standing. The law currently means that City have to offer 1 seat for each spectator. They could theoretically implement rail seating now, they'd just have to do so whilst keeping the capacity within those sections down. Hopefully the law changes, so we can start doing what they've been doing in Germany for years - offering a standing section where you can fit up to 1.8 supporters per 1 seat.

Going off this, the club could increase the capacity over 60k, without spending £50m+ on an extension. There isn't the demand for a 60k seater at the moment, so it all falls quite nicely for the club, who will sit back and wait.

We won't see any movement on a structural change until standing has been cleared up.

In the UK safe standing will be one seat per spectator in any case.
That's how I understood it as well.....so any hopes for an increase in capacity are probably futile. It could though improve the atmosphere in the long term?

You can't engineer an atmosphere through architectural solutions. I think we've found that out over the years of transition from Maine Rd to the Etihad.

You need young people who feel free to shout their abuse/encouragement (which is probably why fans dance in the concourse but not in the stand under the glare of CCTV and the watching steward).

Speaking to a football coach this morning who's worked on several building projects at The Etihad, and he stated they are building the North Stand in the form of a large Kop stand. It will fan out into the corners.
Now of course, he could be pulling my plonker, but has anybody else heard of these plans?
That would imply demolishing the existing North Stand and rebuilding the whole thing from scratch, taking at least a season to do so.

Who is going to tell the existing season tickets holders in the North Stand that they are going to be relocated for a season, assuming that there is sufficient space elsewhere to accommodate them. Then the loss of revenue by lopping 10k off the stadium capacity.

What would it serve other than to ape the dippers with their ideas of single tier stands. If it goes ahead I suspect that it will be a mirror image of the top tier on the South Stand with no disruption of supporters and no loss of revenue.

So your information came from a 'football coach'? In my experience stadium expansions employ construction professionals such as architects, civil engineers, and quantity surveyors not football coaches.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.