HS2 - Cancel it now

Should have started at both ends and try to meet in the middle, rather than ...
Should have started in the North...if at all.

Doesn’t make economic short term sense to start in the North, but it would indicate that the govt/country cares about the areas of the country outside of the money laden and expenditure heavy, south east, and that they intend it to be a long term plan for the entire country. Not just another money input into the south east, to add to the many.

Beggars belief. £100+bn to get to/from Brum-London 20 minutes faster. Why? What difference will it make? Some say it is to reduce the number of people flying between the two and yet they are expanding Birmingham airport.
Surely no one flies between Birmingham and London. I'd be surprised if the airlines even bother doing that route.

Flying between London and Manchester is a complete waste of time unless you're starting and ending near both airports. Can often be cheaper than the trains though, which shows how completely fucked up things are.

Massive waste of money for me and
would imagine the final cost will be north of £200 billion.
Essentially, the whole project has been afforded government bonded 'too big to fail' status. It's an open cheque book to all.
And also now, it seems, the 'northern powerhouse' motivation no longer features as highly as was once suggested. Phase II of the project is likely to be put on hold or else downgraded to a level of sophistication that might not have been unfamiliar to Robert Stephenson.

Newly elected Tory MPs from northern constituencies are now seeing HS2 for the resource-hungry southern vanity project that it always really was.

Well no one from the Calder Valley will ever use HS2 because they will have all drowned from the numerous flood defence failures!

It’s a disgrace but then the Tories no longer care about the North now that they have their majority!

Local transport connections in Leeds are abysmal. What’s the point of getting from Leeds to London in under 2 hours if your journey to Leeds railway station gets longer and longer by the week.

In my experience fewer people are travelling to London anyway as video conferencing is so much more efficient and cheaper.

CTID

It'll run as as far as Birmingham only.

Boris is talking his usual bollocks using one liners and bluster to cover fucking over northern communities that changed their votes to elect him.

Surely no one flies between Birmingham and London. I'd be surprised if the airlines even bother doing that route.

Flying between London and Manchester is a complete waste of time unless you're starting and ending near both airports. Can often be cheaper than the trains though, which shows how completely fucked up things are.

I regularly travel Mcr to London. Flying is cheaper but when you factor in you have to be there 45mins before and it takes 30mins to get off the plane and out it is about 2:15mins (roughly same as a train). The big drawback is that you fly to heathrow still puts you a distance out. It can be a lot cheaper though sub £200 - I regularly pay £350 for a peak open return at short notice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.