Prog rock

One of my favourite prog albums is Garden Shed by England.
Way back in the 70s.

Another one is 5 Moments by Sebastian Hardy (Aussie group)

But the proggiest of prog bands was Gentle Giant, they're hard to get into but well worth the effort.

They don’t tour often but I managed to see them in Chelsea a couple of years ago (the night we beat Chelsea 0-1 at Stamford Bridge) . They were superb - the sound was immaculate.
Yeah, I was there too, got the Mrs to look up the score during the interval to find we won 1-0, made the gig even sweeter.
If someone had told me that incorporating a Brass Band with Rock/Prog Music would sound good, I'd have still been laughing now but it does work.

Interesting with Rush. Over the years I’ve never thought of them as prog, probably because they were more hard rock and less keyboard-centric than what I consider prog - but I can see an argument on paper for classifying them as prog I suppose.
I certainly wouldn’t think of them in the same bracket as Yes, Genesis, Marillion etc.

Rush aren't a Prog band but some of their songs tick a number of the typical Prog boxes.

But then that's one of the problems with labels: lots of bands don't fit neatly into one category (or sub genre) of music.

Not sure many bands that are dubbed Prog these days are actually very progressive; when the term was first coined it was applied to bands who were pushing the boundaries of what constituted rock ('n' roll) music. There's quite a good definition here http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive-rock.asp#definition.

They don’t tour often but I managed to see them in Chelsea a couple of years ago (the night we beat Chelsea 0-1 at Stamford Bridge) . They were superb - the sound was immaculate.
Yeah I was there also. Saw them in Loreley on the Rhine in 2018, they closed the first evening in a Roman amphitheatre, magical. Saw them before Christmas at the Hackney Empire, can't get enough.

The book is limited to U.K. bands in the main and the 70s, mainly the first half of the decade. If it covered beyond that would probably be bigger than the bible.

I’m keeping my old copy of the rough guide to rock with me as I read for cross referencing and alternative views. Wish I still had my NME encyclopedia of rock as well

I think I've still got my NME Encyclopedia of Rock and the paperback NME Book of Rock 2.

Yeah I was there also. Saw them in Loreley on the Rhine in 2018, they closed the first evening in a Roman amphitheatre, magical. Saw them before Christmas at the Hackney Empire, can't get enough.
Another 'me too' from me, Both BBT & Camel we're absolute highlights, seen them 7 times now & for sure they are one of my all time faves, well since David Longdon joined in 2009, caught them in Halifax & Birmingham last tour. Whilst my Wife is a big fan she is getting a bit jaded & statements like 'when we go away can it not be Football & Music all the time'.

Cheers you’re selling it well. Does the book take us up to modern day and any new prog bands emerging?

Nick Hornsby described Arsenal as the ELP of football - technically brilliant but boring to watch. That’s a bit harsh but some of their stuff is hard work but also brilliantly played.

Emerson and Palmer in particular were superb musicians. Palmer can still play up a storm.

Nick Hornsby described Arsenal as the ELP of football - technically brilliant but boring to watch. That’s a bit harsh but some of their stuff is hard work but also brilliantly played.

This is the type of arguement I have with my Muso 'not really into Prog Rock' friends, who slate all of Yes' output for example & I agree the vast majority is unlistenable but the half dozen or so of their best really stands out, I make the point of saying what if the Sex Pistsols had released 20 albums would all of them been as good as Never Mind.....

Last edited:
Prog friendly bands from the 80s are few and far between. At a push you could make a case for Marillion and King Crimson. Palas and some other neo prog.

I also think you could include some prog leaning bands like Talk Talk and The The. I even think Frankie Goes to Holywood and Simple Minds Street Fighting Years. Ozric Tentacles were space rock/Hillage influenced. I think a lot of ambient house was also infuenced by Prog. A strange transitionay period for sure.
then there's the techno type prog like Tangerine Dream, and the jazz fusion stuff which gets proggy quite often.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.