United thread 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did wonder about that from your reply!

I just don't see the FA as being slaves to one or two clubs.

Ho hum.

Well the Premier League certainly seem to favour them, (see the Times revelations in another post.) Isn't it them that have the ultimate say on how many British players should be in a squad.

Well the Premier League certainly seem to favour them, (see the Times revelations in another post.) Isn't it them that have the ultimate say on how many British players should be in a squad.

The PL may well do, yes.
Doesn't mean the FA do automatically, although the PL try to bully them whenever they can.

British player numbers is PL rules, I'd have thought, with the consideration of UEFA as well for those in European competition. Might be wrong on that.

I did wonder about that from your reply!

I just don't see the FA as being slaves to one or two clubs.

Ho hum.

No worries bud, I don’t specifically think my train of thought applies only to football, it’s one of human nature as much as anything, you do what needs to be done to protect your own interests and assets, so I’m not accusing Gill or others of doing something I wouldn’t be doing myself in a similar situation.

But for what it’s worth, I don’t think we would be going anywhere near the old “2 foreign players” type thing, that would be utter folly as it would dilute the PL to such an extent players and probably another league would benefit and become a more lucrative and sellable commodity at our expense, however, I do think that we will, ultimately, head in that direction, , a somewhat watered down version, We know how far the authorities plan into the future (see Scudamores 6 year plan) so it just wouldn’t surprise me if certain clubs, with connections within those authorities, were given a bit of a head start ?

No worries bud, I don’t specifically think my train of thought applies only to football, it’s one of human nature as much as anything, you do what needs to be done to protect your own interests and assets, so I’m not accusing Gill or others of doing something I wouldn’t be doing myself in a similar situation.

But for what it’s worth, I don’t think we would be going anywhere near the old “2 foreign players” type thing, that would be utter folly as it would dilute the PL to such an extent players and probably another league would benefit and become a more lucrative and sellable commodity at our expense, however, I do think that we will, ultimately, head in that direction, , a somewhat watered down version, We know how far the authorities plan into the future (see Scudamores 6 year plan) so it just wouldn’t surprise me if certain clubs, with connections within those authorities, were given a bit of a head start ?

All fair enough. I agree that the big boys always want more, and I expect that City have been involved in similar things in recent years too. The PL have beaten up the league on game management just by threatening to withhold money fro the derisory amount they pass down now, and have got the FA to give up 5th round day and replays - it's only going to get worse on that.

It's being reported this week that the move will be to 13 overseas players, rather than 17 as a maximum - that would be pretty bad for many teams, although it'll be a few years yet before it could come in.

All fair enough. I agree that the big boys always want more, and I expect that City have been involved in similar things in recent years too. The PL have beaten up the league on game management just by threatening to withhold money fro the derisory amount they pass down now, and have got the FA to give up 5th round day and replays - it's only going to get worse on that.

It's being reported this week that the move will be to 13 overseas players, rather than 17 as a maximum - that would be pretty bad for many teams, although it'll be a few years yet before it could come in.

It would also be shit for the overall PL product driving down the talent pool and lowering the standard of football so that rich teams currently lying in 7th or 8th place, for example, would be elevated into the top 4 without a commensurate improvement in product. And no-one would want that.

It would also be shit for the overall PL product driving down the talent pool and lowering the standard of football so that rich teams currently lying in 7th or 8th place, for example, would be elevated into the top 4 without a commensurate improvement in product. And no-one would want that.

Seriously ! 'No one would want that' Sky/BT would for a start.

Anyone getting suspicious of why they are buying mostly English footballers? Could it be that in the near future there will be a law from FA saying teams have to have a certain amount of English players in all prem league teams?

Just seen an earlier post alluding to the same thing

The same would have to apply to all teams in Europe, limiting for example the number on none Spanish players in a Spanish team. Otherwise a young Spanish player could sue Uefa if he couldn't play in a European competition because Spain allowed more foreigners in their teams than English teams.

Of course we could just get round it by playing English players in the PL and using a team of foreigners in the Chumps League.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.