The Arndale Centre

Walked through it today and is slowly turning into stretford Armadale. I also see that the share price of Intu who own it is now at an all time low. Valued at just 164 million.

I thinks its demise could be a once in a generation opportunity for Manchester to demolish it and rebuild and form new streets at the heart of the city centre.

Does anyone else think it is coming to its natural end and we can finally rid the city of this monstrosity for good?

It still has the likes of the Apple shop and Disney store. When they can attract the big names they will not change it. The problem they face is the number of viable shops / retailers. It will clearly get more and more void units. At some point a crunch will come when the void costs make the whole thing unsustainable but we are a long way off that.

It still has the likes of the Apple shop and Disney store. When they can attract the big names they will not change it. The problem they face is the number of viable shops / retailers. It will clearly get more and more void units. At some point a crunch will come when the void costs make the whole thing unsustainable but we are a long way off that.

I am not sure we are. The bit you talk about is the only half reasonable bit. The area between boots and what used to be jd sports is full of fancy dress shops and nail bars. Can’t be paying much rent at all. It will be interesting to see if it exists In It’s current form In ten years.

My late Father helped build this, drilled the big slabs on to the building using Diamond Drilling, I was born in 69 & have no real memory of him working on it, was it built early 70s?

I haven't been in the Arndale in 10 years, it was a shadow of itself then, the Trafford center is another shocker.

What this country did during the 60s was verging on criminal. And the thing is .. it was only handfuls of people on councils that made these decisions. A few people whos decisions changed landscapes forever

The 1960’s was the beginning of a sharp decline, you’re absolutely right.

The Arndale is god awful. I go in every lunch time and I just despair at a lot of the people in there and the whole place really.

It’s almost an epicentre of the West’s trash culture.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.