Your growing up years

The thing I remember about childhood is crawling around engine sheds looking at steam locos. Never nicked owt or caused any damage, and never came to any harm as I had the sense to know what was dangerous. No kid could do that nowadays. It simply would not be allowed. Similarly, when I was about 8 or 9 a gang of us would walk from Gorton to Marple quite regularly. Again, no kid would be allowed to do that nowadays, and remember, we had no mobile phones. You just had to look after yourself. No one ever died as a result of those trips.

I would hate to be an average kid nowadays. OK, they have all the fancy electronic stuff, but OTOH a medieval princess had more freedom, let alone the kids of my generation.

I remember in the late sixties, being nine and going out on my bicycle for a ride. I pedalled from Gorton to Piccadilly fucking Gardens and back without a care in the world. No helmet, dayglo vest etc.

Being out all the time is what I remember, knocking for mates hoping they were in or allowed out not being able to ring them on the telethingymubob first, everything on spec. It was a time when a stick and a tin can entertained a child for hours only landing home if you were starving.

Risk assessment as a child was character building, playing on building sites inside empty houses and thriving on jam butties and egg and chips, playing football at the drop of a hat and for hours too.

How true..

Flashback memories courtesy of my dystopian mindset. I have no idea what dystopian mindset means but it fits in rather well with this story line so let us continue.

First available memory circa 4 years old . An auntie in Withington buying me a cornet with a flake in it. Proper made up as the poorer children in the street couldn't afford flakes and so I saved that for last as a badge of honour.

Circa 4 years old. Being captured by the hill people and moved by horse and cart to Rozzendorf and nair to return back to my ancestral home. I cried until journeys end and I am still to this very day featured on the back of milk cartons in Withington.

Circa 5 years old..First day at school and all on our hands and knees as one of our class had shit her self and we all wanted a gander.

Circa 7 years old. Losing out as Jesus in our school nativity to a long haired yeti with not an ounce of acting nuance and instead being cast as a crappy Shepard lad but mother said without the crappy shepherd lad showing the wise men the way then Jesus would not have gotten his gold frankenstein or grrr.

Circa 8 years old ..Watching mothers clothes spiraling and or floating down past our bedroom window sill as father emptied the contents of her wardrobe down into the garden because she said she never had enough clothes but there seemed to be an awful lot falling down and at times it looked like a reconstruction of Arnhem. After that he disappeared into the distance with not a backward glance and we never saw him again.

Circa nine years old. Working as an alter boy and being taken to a house of a deceased church member to waft the incense on her open coffin. I had to make my way home in the dark a mile away down past the brook and desolate lane frantically breaking from a trot into a mad gallop as my sphincter gave way to liquid fear. When I got home I moved all my glow in the dark Frankenstein figurines into the cupboard and slept with the light on for a firther 9 years : (

That is all:

Last edited:
I remember being 7 and walking home alone from school everyday, letting myself in the house getting changed and going out playing footy, couldnt really see that happening today

I loved my childhood, born in 74 so I had the whole of the 80s through my childhood to early teens, loved every single second of that decade, young and without a care in the world I had an absolute scream, I wish I could relive it again.
The music, the clothes, the football, the tv, junior school to high school, every day of every year seemed exciting with something going on or finding out something new.

Ah memories :(

Life is pain, the world owes you nothing, existence isn’t meant to be fair, etc.

Those were the platitudes of my childhood, such as it was.

I remember being 7 and walking home alone from school everyday, letting myself in the house getting changed and going out playing footy, couldnt really see that happening today
Exactly this. Morning, Noon and Night was football out on the street with about 20 kids. The mothers basically had to come out and drag us in off the street! Jumpers as nets in the middle of the road, Ball putting windows threw. The only times I'd see my mam and dad was when they'd wake me up for school :)
Nowadays there is nobody out kicking a ball...All to busy with their PS4 and Nintendo switch unfortunately.

I didn’t have a care in the world but I knew nothing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.