The Arndale Centre

Apart from going on occasion to the hole in the wall facing Exchange Square I've only been in it once in the last umpteen years, that was to the micro pub with my lad.

So if £'s spent per capita for Grt Manchester's population mirrored mine it'd be shut already.

I’ve been in it once since the 80s.
Last year for an Apple genius appointment.

Walked through it today and is slowly turning into stretford Armadale. I also see that the share price of Intu who own it is now at an all time low. Valued at just 164 million.

I thinks its demise could be a once in a generation opportunity for Manchester to demolish it and rebuild and form new streets at the heart of the city centre.

Does anyone else think it is coming to its natural end and we can finally rid the city of this monstrosity for good?

It’s not the lack of interest from companies who want to ‘set up shop’, it’s the ridiculous business rates that are asked... it’s merely a slow burner, larger cities have just taken longer to catch up because of the numbers in regards to those who pass through, the same problem still exists. The Trafford centre will also need a buy out as it’s also owned by them, 5.4b deficit by all accounts....

Walked through it today and is slowly turning into stretford Armadale. I also see that the share price of Intu who own it is now at an all time low. Valued at just 164 million.

I thinks its demise could be a once in a generation opportunity for Manchester to demolish it and rebuild and form new streets at the heart of the city centre.

Does anyone else think it is coming to its natural end and we can finally rid the city of this monstrosity for good?
Yes!

I’m someone who likes to shop in Town (rather than the Trafford Centre) but don’t go into the Arndale unless I have to.

It looks awful from the outside, it’s generic and bland on the inside and is a relic of a past time.

All towns and City centres have too many shops. Redeveloping the Andale into something else would probably allow the other gaps developing in the City centre to be filled. The present Arndale site could be replaced with an indoor winter garden and restaurant complex. City centres need to change and focus less on shopping and more on leisure.

I seem to be the only one on this thread that doesn’t hate it, but I don’t love it either.. I don’t really think it warrants such an opinion, it’s just somewhere where shops are. I go there when I need to, not for entertainment.

the whole city centre just needs turning to rubble and rebuilding, it's a disgrace.

I can see a bit of what you say. Sometimes I love it others I hate it. I like around st Anne’s square and also the town hall. Sadly the Arndale and market street are vile.

May I ask what is your opinion on the new towers at the end of Deansgate?

I can see a bit of what you say. Sometimes I love it others I hate it. I like around st Anne’s square and also the town hall. Sadly the Arndale and market street are vile.

May I ask what is your opinion on the new towers at the end of Deansgate?

Gotham, if everything was spaced out more with more green areas, more open areas and more natural light able to reach the ground it would be great. I worked in Spinningfields as they were being built and you would be blinded by a blaze of light as the sun reflected off them down Deansgate and the rest of the area would just be dark and shadowy. I love New York but it's just bigger and it has Central Park, Manchester is just dark, narrow and really just creates that unease that is reflected at ground level with the number of homeless lying helpless and reprobates up to no good hanging around.

Piccadilly Gardens needs to be a centre-piece, the city centre needs to be properly pedestrianised, bus station shifted underground, trams shifted underground and just tart the place up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.