The Arndale Centre

When I see pictures of what was once there I feel angry. This could have been built on the outskirts. We would have had our own Shambles centred around pubs like the demolished Boars Head. Such a shame this oversized toilet was built.

It could be worse, we could have gone even more excessive like Birmingham did in the 60s and 70s. At least Manchester still had the Northern Quarter, The Village, Ancoats and Chinatown to do something interesting with in the centre. Birmingham is a shopping centre and roads.

i work piccadilly gardens and hate the place

They have at least acknowledged that this is the one bit of town that needs work and are doing something about it in the next few years, at least according to a recent consultation. Bus stop being moved, the wall pulled down etc.

They have at least acknowledged that this is the one bit of town that needs work and are doing something about it in the next few years, at least according to a recent consultation. Bus stop being moved, the wall pulled down etc.

Plus, in the council's defence, the plans for the new park and the square in Ancoats are top notch urban planning.

hope that’s a joke cos it ain’t funny.

Not a joke but at the same time it might be one of those daft conspiracy theories. It certainly did the rounds at the time of the explosion and the subsequent rebuild.

The 1960’s was the beginning of a sharp decline, you’re absolutely right.

The Arndale is god awful. I go in every lunch time and I just despair at a lot of the people in there and the whole place really.

It’s almost an epicentre of the West’s trash culture.
Im a member of an fb group , cheadle hulme memories. The village was stunning in the 50s. Then in the 60s it was ripped to bits, beautiful old buildings torn down to be replaced bt the ‘modern’ precinct

But as someone on there said “it was just the attitude in the 60s, everything had to be new”. Which i guess makes sense after post war poverty.

Just a shame

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.