UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question is whether we have the stomach to take it to the courts after CAS as that's what will surely be needed but I am not sure City will want to go that far. I could easily be wrong. It's only an opinion......

I think it's important to note that the decisive factor in the club's tactics for subsequent litigation will be the reputational effect for the emirate of Abu Dhabi and not MCFC. It may be that the club's interests and those of the stakeholders in the UAE converge, but it would be naïve not to think that it's the latter than really count now.

Either way, football has reached a critical point. If we lose, which I don't think we will, then there's no point in any of it anymore, its design to protect an elite group is evident for all. If we win, then UEFA is goosed. I do worry that the CAS may be tempted to throw UEFA a lifeline because the alternative is less disruptive to the sport.
I see your point. But finding in favour of UEFA in my opinion signals the slow death of football. Upholding their position leads the way to at least a points deduction and a possible relegation. Previously as blues, we have all been through hard times and I get the message about us doing it again. But you always had the Roy of the Rovers dream of winning the Premier League or Champions League. Knowing it’s not possible removes that and I’d find it pointless. Football would be no different to choreographed wrestling.

somebody else already mentioned in an earlier post, all these clubs with investment would know that the potential would never be realised (Everton, Wolves). I’m not interested on the watching football as the old world order is restored, hoping for mid table safety and sitting through the first few games on MotD paying ritual homage to Liverpool, United and a moveable feast of London clubs who are also allowed the occasional day in the sun.

For the first time in my life I’d be cured of football. Certainly give up sport packages on BT and Sky. Not subscribe to the BBC when we finally rid ourselves of their pernicious tax. The last decision would be to give up my season ticket at City. Could I watch without bothering about the wider politics? Probably not.

I doubt I’d be alone, but it would take time for people to realise. I think our fan base age has seen the apex of football (I’m 51). I doubt the next generation of fans will follow their clubs so loyally and blindly. And that isn’t a criticism, far from it,

Enjoyed my first week as head of PR at Manchester City football club. Think it went pretty well.
Credit to@howiehock3434

Reactions: TFC
If we were offered another "pinch" should we not just have accepted it and moved on ? Because the media feeding frenzy I am reading now is unprecedented in sporting history. I have read respected legal commentators stating that we have not only breached regulations but committed actual financial crimes. By doing so they are implicating the club's accountants and auditors in the same strike.

If we were offered a settlement (and that's a big if) could we not simply have accepted unknowingly breaking rules (as in 2014) with a commitment not to do so in the future now the club is on a sounder financial footing?

If it is the case that UEFA wanted us to settle for a fine we are risking the future of the club as we know it on the prospect of a successful CAS appeal. I pray to God that Khaldoon et al know what they are doing.

Hypothetically speaking lets just say we are technically guilty of these FFP breeches in UEFA Eyes.

That UEFA are in fact in possession of a Treasure Trove of stolen City emails that when forensically analyzed prove we circumvented FFP with some creative accounting.

This dose not mean we have done anything illegal.Sure UEFA might think it is unethical, that we circumvented FFP by being creative.................so fucking what.

Is that not a failure on UEFA part ?, leaving loopholes open that professional accountants are always going to exploit.

Isn't this why many Clubs including the Rags have accounts in the Caymen Islands to circumvent rules and regulations within the remit of the Law.

Isn't this why top players have part owners etc to avoid taxes and such.Sure unethical, but not illegal.The whole business World is unethical.

UEFA designed legislation to stop City.We hire a firm of top accountants whose sole job is to figure out a workaround.

UEFA pissed off then changes the rules and retrospectively punishes us.

It is entirely possible we are guilty of what UEFA accuses us of,and innocent at the same time.

UEFA law,and real law are entirely different.

Legal law deals with the facts.Have we committed any criminal offences,no we haven't.

The interview is apparently on Al-Jazeera via a translator.
Seasoned FFP watchers will be pleased that Ed Thompson piped up on the thread.

In the twitter thread there is this exchange:

Q: How open is it to a counter suit?

Mark Stephens: Very. A lack of an independent investigation. No independent prosecution. No independent judge to adjudicate. A complete breach of the Rules of Due Process

The law is weird but who in their right mind would bet against City.

As ESPN said...this isn’t Wigan UEFA are taking on.

The more I read the more confident I am. Looking forward to it all now.

Just wanted to let you guys know you're not alone. What UEFA is doing and has been doing for years is disgusting, inherently corrupt and is destroying football. Sport without competitivity isn't worthwhile and UEFA seem hell bent on eradicating any form of competitiveness (except where it favours their "chosen few"). They've already destroyed football in Italy by crippling us, Inter, with their sanctions and once they were done with us and we got on something approaching an even foot again, they've hunted down and are hunting down Milan (how interesting that UEFA never took the slightest interest in seeing that Juventus were punished for calciopoli or in pursuing a suitable punishment instead of the ridiculously flimsy penalty that was handed down).

It's not that the clubs they've gone after haven't compromised the rules so much as that the rules are compromised themselves. An example from Serie A, Juventus win it every year so their prize money is huge. That allows them to invest more money which increases their dominance (and lets not kid ourselves, we all know who is going to win the scudetto again this year, and the next, and the next...) which allows them to invest even more money ad infinitum. Financial Fair Play has been set up by a cartel of clubs and those in cahoots with these clubs. UEFA as anyone with even a cursory knowledge of football knows is inherently corrupt. UEFA pontificating about morals and dishing out punishments? That's like taking lessons in morality from Jimmy Saville.

I have firmly believed from day one that UEFA's FFP rules were eminently challengeable in a legal context. In what other business can you tell somebody that they can't invest their own money to grow a project??? The way City have been run since your current owners came in has been exemplary. They speculated to accumulate, an age old business practice, and having done so wisely and astutely are reaping deserved rewards. That a mafia-like organisation like UEFA is now sticking its nose in because they don't like "the new kids on the block" (and I use that term with tongue firmly in cheek; City have always been a massive club and similarly to Inter, unlike other clubs like Liverpool, United, Juventus, your and our fans don't only turn up when the team is winning).

I always hoped we would try to fight UEFA but we were in a mess because of the Moratti-Thohir-Suning ownership saga and by the time Suning came in, I think they felt it was better to just get FFP out of the way and build. I genuinely think your owners however are savvy, wealthy, well-connected, intelligent and committed enough to be the club which finally takes UEFA down from its pedestal. I have nothing but respect for Manchester City, your owners and your project and I hope as much as you do that you manage to give UEFA a bloody nose over this. If they get away with it this time, I shudder to think what the future holds for football. Whilst United are riddled with debt, Juventus have posted debt on the Irish stock exchange for the last couple of years, UEFA are targetting a club which seriously has its house in order and is a shining example for how to run a football club.

Best of luck and I will be supporting you every step of the way.

Forza City!

There's a reason the only other football shirt I owned is Inter!

Thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.