The cool cats

same as ...or Mitchells van Hire. No seats in the back.....full of loons
Yes Mitchells were on the other side of Bury New Road from SVH iirc. I used them to hire a van when I first moved house in 1980.
We always tried to hire a minibus but if they had none to hire then a van had to make do.
We went to Bristol City in 1977, starting off at midnight from Piccadilly Gardens. All pissed up lying all over the back of the van.
Then a few weeks later going to Derby County (when Big Joe made them paint the penalty spot) in the back of a Luton van.
Hanging out of the back with the shutter up,throwing empty cans and apple cores at the rags waiting at bus stops in Hazel Grove,New Mills and Whaley Bridge etc. A fucking laugh a minute to be honest,my best days of being a City fan.
And we nearly won the league that year as well.

Yes Mitchells were on the other side of Bury New Road from SVH iirc. I used them to hire a van when I first moved house in 1980.
We always tried to hire a minibus but if they had none to hire then a van had to make do.
We went to Bristol City in 1977, starting off at midnight from Piccadilly Gardens. All pissed up lying all over the back of the van.
Then a few weeks later going to Derby County (when Big Joe made them paint the penalty spot) in the back of a Luton van.
Hanging out of the back with the shutter up,throwing empty cans and apple cores at the rags waiting at bus stops in Hazel Grove,New Mills and Whaley Bridge etc. A fucking laugh a minute to be honest,my best days of being a City fan.
And we nearly won the league that year as well.
There's loads feel the same boss...........

Well I am 64 in June and most of the guys I mentioned a few posts ago were all older than me. So most will be late 60s and early 70s now.
As you say,handy lads back in the day. I would suggest that age has slowed them down a bit though.It gets to us all eventually.
I was but a freckled faced youngster back then in awe of the older Guys.7 ,or 8 stone wet through. Dont know where it all went wrong looking at my waist line.

I remember a huge fight at the old Whalley Hotel with the Rags outside.

Also an epic battle taking place with Newcastle fans outside the Kippax. Day turned to night with those huge gravel rocks that were on the Car park being thrown The odd lot just fucked off and left everyone to it.It ended up carrying on Horton,and Thornton Road.With Gates going through peoples windows etc.Cars turned over.I thought the Newcastle fans back then were Batshit crazy.Newcastle fans even went off at the old Platt Lane Police Station freeing their mates from the Cells.Mental.

Last edited:
As I said earlier in the thread the definitive spelling is in the book Guv'nors by Mickey Francis. One of the early chapters is about the first gang he was in,which was formed by his older brother Donald.
Has anybody still got the book to check and give the final undisputed answer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.