Caroline Flack - rest in peace

This mornings papers headlines say it all about their lack of understanding of what they have done.

Not one can bring themselves to say she took her life, just "Caroline dead at 40", not a sign of empathy.

Have to pull you up on this point.

When a celebrity commits suicide, reporting in the subsequent days tends not to focus on the fact that they ended their lives. This tends to be an act of public service as studies have found that copycat suicides occur in those who experience suicidal ideation when they hear that a prominent successful celebrity has ended their lives. It's why when you eventually read an article about it there tends to either be a trigger warning, and likely a link to a support group such as the Samaritans or Lifeline here in Australia.

The following study provides a high level overview of this occurrence.

https://jech.bmj.com/content/57/4/238

Far from it being a lack of empathy, it is reporting out of concern to prevent other people from taking their lives.

Have to pull you up on this point.

When a celebrity commits suicide, reporting in the subsequent days tends not to focus on the fact that they ended their lives. This tends to be an act of public service as studies have found that copycat suicides occur in those who experience suicidal ideation when they hear that a prominent successful celebrity has ended their lives. It's why when you eventually read an article about it there tends to either be a trigger warning, and likely a link to a support group such as the Samaritans or Lifeline here in Australia.

The following study provides a high level overview of this occurrence.

https://jech.bmj.com/content/57/4/238

Far from it being a lack of empathy, it is reporting out of concern to prevent other people from taking their lives.

Fair enoigh, but I still find caroline dead at 40 a pretty unfeeling headline

Lots of hypocrisy about the media in this.

Yes, the likes of the sun and mail are scumbags in the way they thrive on the cesspit of cheap gossip and not serious news.

However, the elephant in the room for most of those portraying how sad they are at the death of a stranger is that they are mostly the same people who watch the nasty, corrosive TV show (well, shows plural but Love Island is the worst given its popularity and the 'role models, behaviour' and aspirations that they model to kids) and also the same people that consume the very same media they are criticising.

The audience for Love Island and The Mail Online aren't ring fenced. They are the same audience. If the same people didn't lap up everything that The Sun reports on no mark (in the sense that they gave no outstanding talent) celebrities then it wouldn't be there.

This woman was most famous for fronting and promoting a show that cheapens the aspirations of teenagers and young people and teaches them that the drama, arguing and recriminations of nobodies is what they should be interested in and desire to replicate. It promotes these people as 'stars' not because they have talent or do something note worthy but because they have been on tv, involved in what social media would term drama and because they are attractive. Whilst anyone's suicide is a tragedy for people around them, this girl made a career off the very same cesspit that turned around and bit her when she acted badly.

The issue isn't the media, it's the whole ecosystem of trash reality tv and the values and behaviour it promotes and the presenters, contestants and the audience are all culpable and part of the whole mess. For elements of the audience and presenting community to be on their high horse is a bit rich.

Cancelled show tonight but back on tomorrow with a tribute. After that should they should all pack up & come home?
Watched one episode a couple of years ago , never seen such mind numbing shite before , what anybody sees in this shite is beyond me , a sad reflection on society and standard of tv .

I'm really angry this morning,even the day time shows i watch are all sticking up up the media,they papers like the sun deleting lots of stuff they said about her is ok,they are doing it because it looks insensitive now,it was fucking insensitive when she was alive you cunts.the same ones drove harry to leave the country to protect his wife and his own mental health,they never fucking learn

She has a history of poor mental health and was awaiting trial for attacking her boyfriend with a broken bottle.

Whatever the merits, or lack thereof, of Love Island, I doubt there are too many questions that need asking. She was a presenter, and resigned after her arrest.
This is the first time I've seen exactly what happened, attacked him with a broken bottle?
That explains why the CPS decided to press on with charges, when confronted with an assessment by the police, a
judgement will include the possibility of fear, or coercion, for all we know she may have threatened to kill him, so even
though he said he didn't want it to go further, it would be irrelevant, if the situation between them was viewed as dangerous.
I do feel for the poor girl though, it's an awful tragedy.

As soon as he said he didn't want to press charges the CPS should have dropped the case. Pointless excercise that has no doubt partly resulted in Flack taking her life. Tragic and avoidable. I see the CPS has closed ranks like all public bodies do when under under criticism. No doubt they will offer some mealy mouthed statement saying no one was to blame but lessons will be learned in a month or so.

Not pressing charges is one of the great myths.
It is solely the job of the CPS after receiving police reports.
And thankfully so.
Imagine how many battered wives have tried to say they didn’t want to press charges after getting another kicking from their partner.

I’ve seen some shite posted on here today but this takes the biscuit.

Do you not understand why the CPS take prosecutions forward in cases of violent domestic abuse?

If not then you really need to give your head a wobble.
Was it in the wider public interest, I was say not.
Did her boyfriend feel intimidated, I was say not given what I have read. ?
Should the CPS have taken these things into consideration. Most definitely.
Do you need to wind your neck in a bit? Most definitely!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.