Wenger wants to change offside

But how do you not see that this solves nothing in terms of forensically analysing goals. Instead of analysing whether someone’s pube is infront of the last defenders armpit hair, it just shifts the forensic analysis further back to look at whether the dead skin on the striker’s heel is level with the defender’s armpit hair. It’s exactly the same frustration. More goals will be deemed onside than before, of course. But it does not remove the forensic analysis. There will be the same number of overruled goals based on millimetres, but more goals overall.
Your post has just ruined my solution - being if any part of the player is onside, then it's onside. You're right, there'll still be forensic analysis albeit coupled with more goals. I'll have to go back to my original solution, which is scrapping it.

In principle it’s a good idea but I don’t think it will avoid VAR controversy. Just make the debate about marginal heel offsides, or players with long flowing locks.

From a VaR perspective the technology needs to be good enough to identify offsides almost instantly, goal line technology is accepted because it’s so quick. Offsides needs to be the same, other than when the issue is about whether a player is active.

Arsene Wenger is the driving force behind a move to re-write the offside law to bring an end to controversial borderline VAR decisions. Wenger believes attacking players should be deemed onside if ANY part of their body is in line with the last opponent.

Thoughts?

I agree but i would go one step further and say any decision considered borderline should go the way of the attacking team.

It's an entertainment business

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.