#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
On why he isn't playing? It's a whole list of things but it can be boiled down to the idea that developing youth players simply isn't a priority either for Pep or for the club, despite Khaldoon's constant lip service. The squad is bloated as a result of choosing to participate in every trophy. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the reality. When other clubs have injuries they often turn to youth, we turn to other internationals. Combine that with how hierarchical Pep is in his squad selection, where seniority clearly matters to him, and you get very few opportunities for ANY young player to play, not just Phil.

Look an Ansu Fati at Barca, a few injuries and all of a sudden he's starting games. Meanwhile we had no one to come in a give Raz a break so instead of giving some minutes to say, Jayden Braaf, we shift Angelino up to play winger in cup games, because hey we bought this guy and he needs to play some time.

You make a lot of assumptions as to why certain players are playing.
Perhaps Pep just thinks they will be more relible at the moment.
He sees more than we do.
This youth mantra is all well and good and sounds lovely, but we have been successful because of quality and great coaching.
We'll know a lot more about Foden next season.

You make a lot of assumptions as to why certain players are playing.
Perhaps Pep just thinks they will be more relible at the moment.
He sees more than we do.
This youth mantra is all well and good and sounds lovely, but we have been successful because of quality and great coaching.
We'll know a lot more about Foden next season.
I think I'm making pretty few assumptions actually, surprised to hear that. What's clear to me is this: nearly every time Phil's played he's looked like he not only has all the potential we think he does, but that he helps the team right now. For me, the theories why he isn't playing... "oh he needs to be more vocal", "oh, he must not be doing it in training", "Pep sees all", etc require way more in the way of assumptions than my theory. If developing youth players was any sort of priority surely this is the season we would see some of that, no?

He came on last night and immediately created something.

give him a start this weekend with Dave needing a rest and Madrid coming up

He came on last night and immediately created something.

give him a start this weekend with Dave needing a rest and Madrid coming up

Just not going to happen mate. Perfect time to put him on last night was for KDB. Instead he only got a few minutes in a dead game because David was injured

I was undecided whether to put this in the Raz or Foden thread, but I thought I’d leave it here as I’d say there’s a longer discussion to be had re: Foden.

Firstly, it’s incredibly encouraging to hear Sterling continue to show his maturity and leadership skills, passing his experiences on to younger players and looking out for them.

I don’t want to say worryingly, but I hope Foden can remain strong during what must be arguably a very tough period for him. There’s a lot of frustration and impatience building around him, ultimately fans only want what they think is best for him, but I hope it doesn’t become a burden.

I was undecided whether to put this in the Raz or Foden thread, but I thought I’d leave it here as I’d say there’s a longer discussion to be had re: Foden.

Firstly, it’s incredibly encouraging to hear Sterling continue to show his maturity and leadership skills, passing his experiences on to younger players and looking out for them.

I don’t want to say worryingly, but I hope Foden can remain strong during what must be arguably a very tough period for him. There’s a lot of frustration and impatience building around him, ultimately fans only want what they think is best for him, but I hope it doesn’t become a burden.

Unless you know differently, the only frustration and impatience I see is on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.