UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a day on Bluemoon when sesquipedalianism has been laid bare, provoking a retaliatory flurry of floccinaucinihilipilification.

Yep! We've hired the best of the best. UEFA won't know what's hit em....

p054rrvl.jpg

Unfortunately, neither will we.

Ffp has been with us for approximately 10 years and has been a disaster for football, other than the usual suspects. It coped quite well between 1880 and 2010, different clubs dominated then fell away for whatever reason. This era seems like it will be set in stone forever. There should be no financial controls whatsoever, football will survive.

I think you are conflating 2 different issues there though.

The usual suspects are set in stone because as the CL came in around 92/93 and the Premier League deal came in, the clubs at the top suddenly got insanely rich over 3 or 4 years and then had much more money than anyone else with which to fend off competition.

FFP made the problem worse by taking away the 1 in a million lottery of getting a very rich owner investing, but it's TV money (globalisation really) which created the problem.

Ffp has been with us for approximately 10 years and has been a disaster for football, other than the usual suspects. It coped quite well between 1880 and 2010, different clubs dominated then fell away for whatever reason. This era seems like it will be set in stone forever. There should be no financial controls whatsoever, football will survive.
I disagree. Football should be regulated. It should be regulated for the benefit of all rather than the protection racket that it is at the moment.

Salary cap in my opinion is one of the worst things to have ever happened to the NHL. There are many issues regarding the sport and the multiple terrible CBA's but the Salary Cap for me is by far and away the worst thing to have ever happened to the sport.

Players do not receive the salaries that they should on the high end and are massively overpayed on the low end (quality wise). It also means that you have teams that do the bare minimum, they know that at a certain salary level they wont be garbage but they will never be good enough to win it all. They stick themselves firmly in the middle and give their fans glimmers of hope from time to time.

This would be the worst possible outcome in my opinion.

A transfer cap would actually be more reasonable, as then the players can still force themselves out of certain teams, and as well the smaller teams will not have to accept a bid because they know that the team cannot go higher. It brings down inflation and would help in my opinion.
Both smack to me of interference and artificial restriction of trade.

I’d prefer positive action, rather than intervention, for example a different way of distributing U€FA monies.

We do a similar thing here in the distribution of TV monies, which has armed every PL club with a decent sized war chest.

I think that's a problem with collective bargaining agreements though, not caps specifically? The NBA's works very well and MLS is pretty good too.

That is possible I do not follow NBA or MLS so it could simply be that. I know that MLB has a soft cap and although it has it's issues, they aren't terrible.

I think you are conflating 2 different issues there though.

The usual suspects are set in stone because as the CL came in around 92/93 and the Premier League deal came in, the clubs at the top suddenly got insanely rich over 3 or 4 years and then had much more money than anyone else with which to fend off competition.

FFP made the problem worse by taking away the 1 in a million lottery of getting a very rich owner investing, but it's TV money (globalisation really) which created the problem.
Absolutely agree with your post, however if Mansour had bought our club in 1992 he could have done what he wanted without on arm tied behind his back.

Both smack to me of interference and artificial restriction of trade.

I’d prefer positive action, rather than intervention, for example in a more equal distribution of U€FA monies.

We do a similar thing here in the distribution of TV monies, which has armed every PL club with a decent sized war chest.

So Saracens rugby club recently tried to argue salary caps were against EU law but lost and I thought the reasoning was very interesting.

Lord Dyson ruled that it wouldn't be classified as against EU law competition law because the effect would be "to make results less predictable and thereby make the sport more attractive to fans and sponsors" and also they failed to demonstrate in practice how the salary cap had an anti-competitive effect.

If City wanted to take apart FFP in court those are some of the things they'd have to be able to prove.

Football clubs should be not for profit organisations and regulated like charities.

Champions League TV money should be distributed evenly throughout the league with a little extra given to participants based on their performances.

Measures like that would bring about more fairness than FFP, transfer caps and wage caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.