BBC

My only issue with the beeb is over saturation of certain themes like cookery programs, they can at times flog a subject to death.

6 music
BBC 4
BBC drama
World service
Regional radio and news
Weather

All these things are worth paying for it.

For shows it is diverse in what it offers, like mrs browns boys, there are a few million love it and even though I think it's shite it caters for them like I have frankie boyle, stewart lee and other comedy suited to me

Its quite infuriating to be honest, left wing mates winging about how right wing biased it is, right wing mates complaining about how left wing it it...

You've got a point bud, to be honest it's the license fee that gets my goat mainly and the gimps like Lineker who are paid too much and appear to look down at the lowly folk.

Gone are the days when Noakes climber Nelson column and I sat there with a bag of crisps watching watch with mother.

No, it's a counterpoint because it's remit is to provide balanced coverage. In the last ten years the BBC's greatest failure has been providing a platform to bigots and liars; most notably Nigel Farage.
Don't those two sentences contradict each other?

My only issue with the beeb is over saturation of certain themes like cookery programs, they can at times flog a subject to death.
The thing is though that often the original ideas are created and funded by the BBC and they only become tired and cliched because everyone else copies them. So the BBC manages to make a daytime success out of antiques with something like Bargain Hunt, and suddenly there are a million other copies and everyone's sick of hearing people banging on about cheap antiques all the time.

Clearly you have a very low opinion of most of those who wish to see the licence fee abolished. But I'm curious as to why you think those people should be forced to pay for something they don't like, want or use?

Personally I don't watch the BBC because just about the only thing I do have the time to watch is football on Sky and BT. But I have to have a TV Licence to watch those channels.

I'd happily skip the 'less than 50p per day' charge because the BBC serves no purpose to me. Just like my gran and lots of other people I know skip the £50 a month charge for Sky because live football and sports serves no purpose to them.

Public service broadcasting benefits everyone. You may not be interested in the BBC Asian network but your neighbour might. You might be able to afford £50 for Sky but your poorer neighbours may rely on Match of the Day. Your small contribution benefits people less fortunate than yourself. It's the progressive principle of everyone contributing towards a shared resource for the nation as a whole.

Even if you never use any BBC service its very presence still benefits you because it frees TV and radio from the narrow concern of advertisers. It produces a range and breadth of broadcasting that means there is something for everyone.

It's no surprise that those who seek its abolition are fearful of a national media organisation that seeks to educate and doesn't reduce everything to the lowest common denominator.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.