BBC

you prick.
You admit you listen to the radio!
In fact you listen to more stations than I do!

I think you have missed the point. The fact that they are shit is why I don't listen to them and why I don't see why I have to pay for something that would not survive in the real business world.

If you want to watch live TV, you have to pay for the BBC, even if you don't watch it. There is no choice, legally.

And if I choose to use the Nuffield and Bupa, and send my kids to Stockport Grammar I still have to pay for the NHS and for comprehensive schools through taxes. There is no choice, legally.

My only issue with the beeb is over saturation of certain themes like cookery programs, they can at times flog a subject to death.

6 music
BBC 4
BBC drama
World service
Regional radio and news
Weather

All these things are worth paying for it.

For shows it is diverse in what it offers, like mrs browns boys, there are a few million love it and even though I think it's shite it caters for them like I have frankie boyle, stewart lee and other comedy suited to me
There’s a lot of cookery programmes, but I watch a lot of them.

And they’re needed!

The average British household is a disgrace when it comes to cooking. The amount of people who don’t know how to cook should be a national concern.

Decades ago, centuries ago, even the poorer people in society could cook tasty+healthy meals and if people could get off their arses and learn how, you can still do it for pennies.

You can cook soups, stews, ragus, chillis and curries for a few quid that will feed the whole family for a few nights.

Yet they’d still rather get a takeaway or some cheap oven pizza/microwave processed meals/chicken dippers and beans etc.

The more cookery programmes on tele the better.

And I agree about those other channels and formats, I think they’re excellent!

And they’re needed!

The average British household is a disgrace when it comes to cooking. The amount of people who don’t know how to cook should be a national concern.

Decades ago, centuries ago, even the poorer people in society could cook tasty+healthy meals and if people could get off their arses and learn how, you can still do it for pennies.

You can cook soups, stews, ragus, chillis and curries for a few quid that will feed the whole family for a few nights.

Yet they’d still rather get a takeaway or some cheap oven pizza/microwave processed meals/chicken dippers and beans etc.

It should be compulsive in schools home economics! Knowing how to cook can save you a fortune.

And they’re needed!

Well that is bollocks.

Because bar a few of them they are about ratings not education about food, which is my problen with them.

Damn, some mighty sensitive and passionate BBC lovers on here.

This indoctrinated bullshit idea that the BBC is a "public service" on the same level of importance like parks and schools. Now the NHS is being compared to the BBC! XD

It's not the 1950's buddy; the BBC is a broadcaster like any other these days. One we're forced to pay for even when many of us enjoy other forms of tv entertainment. The mental gymnastics on display are astonishing.

I never stated it was of the same level of importance, I was highlighting your stance of I'm alright jack and as I don't use the service I shouldn't have to pay for it.

I'd argue it is a public service and on the same level as libraries and museums. It offers a variety of current affairs, educational and entertainment programmes for people of all demographics via tv, online and radio both locally and nationally. It's not great, it's not rubbish, it certainly needs to improve in certain areas.

I never stated it was of the same level of importance, I was highlighting your stance of I'm alright jack and as I don't use the service I shouldn't have to pay for it.

I'd argue it is a public service and on the same level as libraries and museums. It offers a variety of current affairs, educational and entertainment programmes for people of all demographics via tv, online and radio both locally and nationally. It's not great, it's not rubbish, it certainly needs to improve in certain areas.
It's not even an "I'm alright jack" point of view, that's a ridiculous thing to say. It is presently a "criminal offence" to own a tv and not have a tv licence. Remember that the term "live TV" is exceptionally broad and includes things like documentaries, films and soaps. "Eastenders" is considered "live tv". It is such an archaic practice that the majority of the public no longer support in funding.

You can "argue" the point as much as you like; the fact is the BBC is not a "public service" and many don't believe it serves them any better than other channels they might prefer. In that case why isn't BT Sports considered a "Public service"? Is ITV? Why is the BBC seen in such a special regard over ITV or other British based channels? BBC is an entertainment platform like any other, nothing more.

You're also arguing from the position that everyone wants the BBC to be shut down; that's not the arguement. People are saying that they don't feel they should have to pay for one thing in order to access another. You don't get to force others to pay for something they don't want if they enjoy another source of media. Somehow I doubt you'd be so fervent in defending ITV if the centre of the argument was based on that channel instead.

All it amounts to is "Pay for MY BBC, dammit!"

No.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.