Leicester v Man City - VAR (David Coote)

Not sure. But I remember England’s first game of Euro ‘96 against Switzerland. A free-kick from the Swiss is handled by Stuart Pearce putting his hands to his face and a penalty is given

I just watched it again on MOTD and none of the other players in the wall put their hands up. I personally think we got a bit lucky there and that could have been given.

About time though!

I just watched it again on MOTD and none of the other players in the wall put their hands up. I personally think we got a bit lucky there and that could have been given.

About time though!

I think it would have been very harsh. While BT kept quoting 'above shoulder height', there are other relevant bits that were ignored. The two that seem to be the options are these, and I think the arms were close and didn't make anything bigger.

It is usually an offence if a player:
•touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
•the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
•the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:
•if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger

According to Lineker and Wright you can protect your face with your hands and not give away a penalty.

According to Lineker and Wright you can protect your face with your hands and not give away a penalty.

It's not in the laws though. It's all about making yourself bigger. Praet definitely did so isn't contentious. de Bruyne is a matter of opinion, but surely isn't something that VAR could consider clear and obvious.

Was out on the piss this afternoon but someone said that whoever was playing Buuuuurrrrnley had a goal disallowed due to a handball in the build of play that started that in their box, so they disallowed the goal and then gave a pen to the knuckledraggers who scored it. is this right?

Was out on the piss this afternoon but someone said that whoever was playing Buuuuurrrrnley had a goal disallowed due to a handball in the build of play that started that in their box, so they disallowed the goal and then gave a pen to the knuckledraggers who scored it. is this right?

Apparently so. It happened in the Nations League semifinal as well - Portugal vs Switzerland.

I think it would have been very harsh. While BT kept quoting 'above shoulder height', there are other relevant bits that were ignored. The two that seem to be the options are these, and I think the arms were close and didn't make anything bigger.

It is usually an offence if a player:
•touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
•the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
•the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:
•if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
Isn't there something about it not being handball if the ball deflects off another player who is very close, because the ball hits Laporte first and diverts the ball towards Kev. It probably would have still hit Kev's hands though without the deflection.

Not sure. But I remember England’s first game of Euro ‘96 against Switzerland. A free-kick from the Swiss is handled by Stuart Pearce putting his hands to his face and a penalty is given

yes but that was 24 years ago, its not the same game anymore

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.