Penalty Taker

Who should take penalties if Haaland is not on the pitch?

• Total voters
Whats the problem with Ederson taking them apart from Peps stubbornness and respecting the opposition when we are so abysmal at taking them. Would rather score and win to be honest.

Why don't we trick the opposition goalkeeper into thinking we will hit it one way, then at the last moment hit it the other way.

This sounds so simple it couldn't possibly work, could it? And just for the record, Schmeichel didn't save the pen, it was kept it out when it hit him! I said to Mrs Ewing "Ooooh, look at all that empty goal on the right! I've never taken a pen in a situation like the one yesterday, when the latest pen has been preceded by a string of misses, so I wouldn't begin to think what is rattling through the takers brain as he comes up to kick the ball, but I can't understand how these skilful players can't pick that section of the goal that denies the goalie any chance of saving it. They might miss one eventually by miskicking but it is a bit of a mystery for me!

Whats the problem with Ederson taking them apart from Peps stubbornness and respecting the opposition when we are so abysmal at taking them. Would rather score and win to be honest.
What expertise does he have in taking them? Yes, he’s a clean striker of the ball and an accurate passer. But do we know that he’s any good at beating another goalkeeper from the penalty spot?

...I wouldn't begin to think what is rattling through the takers brain as he comes up to kick the ball, but I can't understand how these skilful players can't pick that section of the goal that denies the goalie any chance of saving it....

Whoever takes it needs to have a clear plan and be so practiced at it that repaticion allows them to execute it under pressure.

They should also have a few variations.

If the goalkeeper guesses correctly they should also have a chance of beating him by shear force of execution.

If you apply all of the above you'll score far more than you miss. The ones you miss can be forgiven.

Last night's penalty was dreadful. For a striker so adept at exploiting the space of the goal in normal play it's shocking to see.

I get the feeling if Ederson ever takes one he'll do the opposite to what everyone expects and place it to the keepers right. To become the regular penalty taker he'd have to score one in a penalty shootout first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.