Stupid little things that bug you

No, the German umlaut changes the sound of the letter. “O” is an “oh” but an “Ö” is an “urr”.

Whereäs (!) the English diaeresis indicates that the vowels next to each other are separate and do not make one sound like “out”/“bait” do, for example.

I think they should make a come back!
What. A bit like Bucks Fizz

How diaereses have disappeared from the English language.

Coöperate
Naïve
Coördinate
Reïgnite
Chloë/Zoë
Hiätus
These disappeared quite some time ago, I do hope it's not a thorn in your side!

I'm guessing that the limitations of early printing & the subsequent invention of typewriters - with their restricted character sets - led to its demise. Personally prefer the hyphen where possible. but Brontë looks cool.

The abuse of the words "infer" and "imply".

If I call you a twat, you might infer that I don't like you.
If I say I don't rule out the possibility that you are a twat, that implies that I might not like you.

Subtle, but different meaning.

When someone says something "is a poor man's" something else, in a comparison or trying to represent something shitty as something better to sell it.
No it's not, it's still something shitty.

These disappeared quite some time ago, I do hope it's not a thorn in your side!

I'm guessing that the limitations of early printing & the subsequent invention of typewriters - with their restricted character sets - led to its demise. Personally prefer the hyphen where possible. but Brontë looks cool.
Haha, it’s not a major issue, but suits the thread title well I think.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.