Electric/Hybrid Cars

OK, seems reasonable but....then what ??, the batteries need replacing or you flog it to some poor unsuspecting punter, is the car a write off ??

Most electric car batteries come with an 8 year warranty. Nearly all will last way longer than that though. It's true you'll see them slow down over time though and they will drain faster.

Thats the other issue - never mind producing enough 'leccy through the plugs its doubtful we will be able to produce the batteries needed before too long. It smacks of Govt's getting it in the neck over globals warming and saying " we need to do something" then car makers saying " look -- this is something" and so they all nailed their flag to the wrong mast. Just like power generation I think the true answer is multi-layered with a number of answers including internal combustion, hybrid, pure EV , hydrogen cell thus allowing users to pick what suits their need.
Agree entirely

I have said this all along. Imagine the impact on moving goods around......vans and lorries with restricted range and massive down time recharging batteries.

lorries and buses are excluded from the 2035 ban.
Another reason why petrol/diesel isn’t going to be dying out for decades after.

Up here in Scotland they are promoting electric car ownership rather more than in England. So 100% interest free loans over up to 6 years - extra £300 (over and above OLEV grant) for installation of home charging point. Plus at the moment you can buy a Charge Scotland card for £20 per year which gives access to charging points many of which are (obviously for a limited time) free to use - about a dozen free points within 10 miles of where I live. I've one on order with a 7 year guarantee which includes the battery. I'd expect the battery to last for around 10 years but after that they can apparently still be used for storing electricity in house for about another 10 years (for example with solar panels). Range about 150 miles for a long drive perhaps 230 miles driving around town as it has regenerative braking - so stop-start recharges the battery to some extent. Still a bit indulgent on my part but this may be the last car I buy so why not? I'm replacing a 10 year old diesel Smart Car.

Most electric car batteries come with an 8 year warranty. Nearly all will last way longer than that though. It's true you'll see them slow down over time though and they will drain faster.

Telsa offer a refurbishment scheme ( or used too? ). take you old ones and give you new, they recycle the old ones.

Telsa offer a refurbishment scheme ( or used too? ). take you old ones and give you new, they recycle the old ones.

At a cost and when companies do this huge service to customers as they like to make it out, dont you think its in their interests to ensure you're going back to them sooner rather than later?

I don't have a drive - am I going to be expected to trail a wire from my house, across the pavement, to my car? What happens the first time some dickhead trips over it?

This just won't work IMHO. And I'm one of those who cares about the planet and thinks something needs doing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.