#47 | Phil Foden - 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always been on the side of he’ll play when he’s ready and earned it with regards to Foden, it’s hard to get into the side when you’ve got two World Cup winners, the best player in the league and last seasons player of the year infront if you but If Foden is expected to replace Silva next season he needs games now. We’ve fucked up the league, the only good thing to possibly come from it is the ability to get ahead for next season by playing the likes of Foden and Garcia yet we’re putting out sides as if we’re still in the title race
Exactly.

Pep might not like what he sees in training and if that's the case Foden doesn't have a divine right to play because he's from the academy.

I think this has just become a go-to defence for Pep's decision. If he didn't like the way Phil has been training for the last three years then he would have shipped him off or, at the very least, he wouldn't be getting near the match day squads.

If/ when the day comes when Foden leaves, some of you will have excuses at the ready and this thread has shown people are already preparing them. Pretending his performances have been average, questioning the way he trains, doubting his level of talent in the first place, implying he's overrated because he's local and pretending we can't afford to risk playing inexperienced players.

All that is bollocks. If he leaves, it's because we are absolutely fucking god awful at integrating youth, not because he didn't train hard enough.

I'm hopeful Foden and Garcia will now play more. Beating Leicester establishes a solid gap to 3rd and top 4 is near wnough guaranteed.

It should be about prioritising the CL and cups now. I think Pep has been looking ahead. Building the fitness back after the break for tonight and Sunday. I hope Foden gets on the pitch for both as that would be huge experience. Against the relative lack of pace in Real's midfield Foden would make a huge impact. When you see Grealish and Madisson having such impacts at their clubs you know Foden is more than capable of being a quality player for us as he is miles better than both.

This run to the end of the season is vital for him. If he is going to stay he should be starting every league and FA Cup game and then can play himself into contention for the CL.

I can't see him wanting to stay next season if he continues to play so little.

I'm hopeful Foden and Garcia will now play more. Beating Leicester establishes a solid gap to 3rd and top 4 is near wnough guaranteed.

It should be about prioritising the CL and cups now. I think Pep has been looking ahead. Building the fitness back after the break for tonight and Sunday. I hope Foden gets on the pitch for both as that would be huge experience. Against the relative lack of pace in Real's midfield Foden would make a huge impact. When you see Grealish and Madisson having such impacts at their clubs you know Foden is more than capable of being a quality player for us as he is miles better than both.

This run to the end of the season is vital for him. If he is going to stay he should be starting every league and FA Cup game and then can play himself into contention for the CL.

No one is guaranteed a starting berth, why should Foden be a shoe in for all remaking league and domestic Cup games. I'm not bashing him or sitting in any camp, but to say he must play every domestic game till the end of the season, is nonsense imo.

No one is guaranteed a starting berth, why should Foden be a shoe in for all remaking league and domestic Cup games. I'm not bashing him or sitting in any camp, but to say he must play every domestic game till the end of the season, is nonsense imo.

It's nonsense to go into next season without Silva and Foden having been barely used in this campaign. If we buy someone else then fine, but then he is off. We have to build for next season. The league is gone and top 4 is practically confirmed, playing Foden wouldn't impact our chances in any case. You give him the platform to get used to playing week in week out and gaining experience. Then he either plays himself into our plans for next season or proves Pep is right to play him so rarely and that we need cover.

Otherwise we go into next season without knowing whether he can hack a full campaign. He generally plays well when he comes on and is rarely a weak link in the team. The more he plays the more confidence he builds and the more confidence his teammates have in giving him the ball.

It's nonsense to go into next season without Silva and Foden having been barely used in this campaign. If we buy someone else then fine, but then he is off. We have to build for next season. The league is gone and top 4 is practically confirmed, playing Foden wouldn't impact our chances in any case. You give him the platform to get used to playing week in week out and gaining experience. Then he either plays himself into our plans for next season or proves Pep is right to play him so rarely and that we need cover.

Otherwise we go into next season without knowing whether he can hack a full campaign. He generally plays well when he comes on and is rarely a weak link in the team. The more he plays the more confidence he builds and the more confidence his teammates have in giving him the ball.
to suggest he is guaranteed a start for every remaining domestic game this season is ridiculous was and remains my point. No one else has such a guarantee, and that is the way it should always be

to suggest he is guaranteed a start for every remaining domestic game this season is ridiculous was and remains my point. No one else has such a guarantee, and that is the way it should always be

He doesn’t, but Gundogan and the Silva’s have been worth their position in the team about 1 in every 3 or 4 games. They don’t deserve the guaranteed starts either.

The salient point is, he needs a run of some form in the team. This may be over a handful of games where Pep says he’s shite so he no longer gets a stab at putting games together again, or he takes the chance and in fact improves the team. He’s never been the weak link when he’s featured and has created essentially a goal an appearance on average.

Whilst Foden shouldn’t be guaranteed a position for the remainder like you say, he seems to be the one missing out when the other midfielders are shite and rotated amongst themselves.

Yep, so basically 6 wins from 12 league games should guarantee top 4 now, so plenty of scope to get him in the team isn’t there?

Making him wear that double denim outfit is probably the worst thing we’ve done so far. Reckon he’ll be gone in the summer.

I never said he is guaranteed so your point is irrelevant. I said he should start every game. If, after three starts he is a glaring weakness then clearly he shouldn't be starting. But he should be given more starts now that the league position is more certain so next season we know how he fits into our plans. Gundogan and Silva have been clear weak links at times this season but it hasn't stopped them starting again. Mahrez on the other hand seems to be out if he has one poor game, when he has often been our most influential player in other games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.