Electric/Hybrid Cars

Although a strong supporter of climate change action, I do think a better alternative technology is needed in this instance.

Quite apart from anything else, if you live in a flat or pedestrianised street, the practicalities are a show stopper.

We all need nuclear powered Morris Minors with nice fat Wolfrace alloys to handle the power.

I don't have a drive - am I going to be expected to trail a wire from my house, across the pavement, to my car? What happens the first time some dickhead trips over it?

This just won't work IMHO. And I'm one of those who cares about the planet and thinks something needs doing.

exactly - this is why its just talk - in reality most don't have the infrastructure to run an electric car.

I don't have a drive - am I going to be expected to trail a wire from my house, across the pavement, to my car? What happens the first time some dickhead trips over it?

This just won't work IMHO. And I'm one of those who cares about the planet and thinks something needs doing.
Curbside charging stations and petrol station charging ports.

Drove from Chester to Uxbridge tonight in the BMW i3s via my lads in Brize Norton near Oxford.. I needed a 30 minute charge en route and I used about £10 - £15 of fuel (the car has a range extender to maintain the state of charge).. I’ve got around 55% battery left to get me up to maybe Warwick tomorrow with possibly a little more petrol then I’ll charge again and head off home

You need to change your mindset especially with cars that have a lower range but I’ve driven this car for 18 months and loved it

Our next car when this one goes back (it’s a company car) will be an ICE.. I don’t want to spend EV money as I’m hanging my boots up but if the budget wasn’t an issue I’d have another one tomorrow

So on the way home from work, I have to stop at a petrol station or other charging area for 2 hours to make sure I'm charged enough for the morning?
No, first you need to get to the head of the queue to actually charge it. I'd love a purely electric car but mid terrace with no off road parking it's just a dream. I settled for a Suzuki Ignis soft hybrid myself.

Love my new 330e i've just bought, only had it a few weeks though.

My fuel costs have dramatically reduced, but the car cost more than my last one so i'm not saving as much as I could, but that was my choice.

As for Ionity, it's a supply/demand thing. The EV infrastructure in this country is a joke and at the moment, if you've got something rare - like a 350kwh rapid charging infrastructure, it makes perfect business sense to charge the earth for it. If you have a full EV that isn't a tesla and you don't want to wait for ages charging, then they are great. Though, your car only charges as fast as it can charge. If it can't charge at 350kwh then you don't need to use a 350kwh rapid charger. If your car is only capable of charging at 70kwh, use one of those stations that don't charge the earth. It's common sense but there's a lack of knowledge around EV's so people panic and jump to conclusions.

For those that don't have drives, I believe you'll be able to install curbside charge points as long as they are in front of your house boundaries in the near future, just like people with drives can buy charge points that attach to the house. Government gives you £500 off the price at the moment too. Thanks Boris. You tit.

Most of it is a mindset thing. Most people have no issue going home and plugging their phone in to charge each day. You just apply the same mindset with your car and it becomes routine. On the Octopus Agile energy tariff, sometimes overnight the price of electricity is actually a credit rather than a charge, so you're essentially paid to charge your car. Do enough research and get the right environment and it's clearly the way to go. Not sure I could go full EV yet but not sure my mindset has fully switched over yet. I like having that fuel tank as a backup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.